New one to me

Notices

New one to me

Old 04-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New one to me

Went out yesterday. Launched the boat drove to the dock and left it running while I parked the truck and trailer. Back to the dock in a matter of minutes. I then opened the hatch to find my p/s pump smoking . High pressure side hose VERY hot. Opened cap and fluid steaming. Shut it down and stood there bewildered for a few minutes. Restarted and straightened wheel and it immediately stopped smoking and cooled down. Ran it a couple of hours including a few WOT blasts (still messing with timing , jetting and props) with no further problems.
Could the wheel having been all the way to one side have caused this? I never saw anything like this before.

Last edited by mopower; 04-22-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know, but would defiantly change that fluid ASAP!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Make sure you didn't have a crimped HP hose when you had the steering hard over...
Old 04-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Aero,
Good idea

Far,
Don't think so , but that's along the line of my thinking. I figured the steering had enough pressure on the brazil valve and it was trying to operate the slave cylinder that was all the was extended or retracted. The result could have been the same as a kinked line ,since the fluid had no where to go.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Registered

Wow, that is really strange. Now tell us how she ran!! Do I need to fear meeting up with you in the bay? :

BT :cool
Old 04-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally posted by blue thunder
Do I need to fear meeting up with you in the bay? :
BT :cool
What am I gonna do ,bite

Hitting the 80 mark but there's more left. First time out sat. I had one K-plane that wouldn't retract all the way and I also had a black stern . Yesterday I made some carb adjustments and the stern looks pretty good now. Added 4 more degrees of timing and picked up 300 more rpms with no sign of pinging. Gonna try a little more. Turning 4900 and looking for a little more. Would also like to try some 27 or 29 Mirages in lieu of 28 Bravos. Even trimmed , the bow looks low , like I have too much boat in the water. With my old engines and 25 Mirages at WOT it would carry the bow real nice , and that could be a couple of mph

Last edited by mopower; 04-22-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Registered

Was your steering wheel turned all the way to one side? If it could sit with the steering to lock on one side the fluid would have no where to go and get hot. A typical car will do the same. In a car you can hear the fluid make a louder noise when you turn the wheel to lock and hold it there. Women do it a lot when trying to park large SUVs. In a car if you let go of the wheel it will come off the lock and quiet down. Maybe something on a boat will allow the system to remain at lock after you let go of the wheel. Might be one of the prices we pay when the manufacturer uses componets originally designed for a automotive application in a boat.

Ron
Old 04-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

That's what I was kinda figuring but never really saw it happen
Old 04-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

Mo... I had the same bow low problem after adding power. Spinning the props in was like a miracle cure.

80 will go past me like I am standing still. Sounds ill Mo!

BT
Old 04-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I'm thinking the wheel was left at full lock. The pump doesn't like this. Change the fluid and move on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.