Newbie question: explain drive showers to me

Notices

Newbie question: explain drive showers to me

Old 05-07-2004, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question: explain drive showers to me

Hi,

I've seen advertisements for "drive showers." I understand that these devices shower the drive with water to keep it cool. Is this overkill? With the cooling pickup for the motor in the bottom of the drive, isn't there enough water flowing through the drive to keep it cool? When do you need one of these, should all stern drives have them or only for go fast boats that sustain high speeds?

Chuck
Old 05-07-2004, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they should be standard equipment. You can never run your equipment cool enough.

With the top half of your drive completely out of the water, it can heat up quickly, even though the engine cooling water is passing up through the drive.

It's cheap insurance.

Big cruisers will heat up drives just as quickly as a performance boat will. They should have them too, imo.

Heat kills.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Baja. They are cheap insurance, SO easy to install and they look good too! I recommend the simreks. Go to www.driveshowers.com for in depth info.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Registered

chuck21401, I personally don't think it is over kill. The water pickup in the outdrive does 1 thing, and that is to deliver water to the motor. It is only about 3/4 inch tub that sends the water up to the sea pump. The Bravo out drive holds about 3 quarts of oil and builds up a lot of heat. Even if you only have 300hp you are still spinning it 4500rpm and building almost the same amount of heat as 600hp with a larger prop spinning 4500rpm.
Years ago when I had a 5.0l family ski boat, I was cruising along at about 20mph and the upper gear set let go and broke the housing. I had to buy a complete Alpha upper drive, which wasn't cheap. When the mechanic looked at it he told me there was nothing wrong with the bearings and that it was just fate that a tooth broke off one of the gears.
I have later found out that without a drive shower, these build up enough heat (280-300 degree) to break down the oil, then gears and bearings start to break.
Mercruiser says that if you change the oil at the specified maintenance interval you shouldn't have a problem, but I think they sell millions $$$$ worth of drive parts every year and don't want to fix the problem and installing drive showers. Also they would have to charge more to cover the cost.
So I think $100 drive shower is a very good insurance policy.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Registered

Drive shower = $100 bandaid to keep the poorly engineered bravo upper cool. Needed because of its small lube capacity, weak upper tower and housing. Not sure if it really helps keep drives alive longer though.
My $0.02
Gary
Old 05-07-2004, 09:08 AM
jhnrckr

Look at the drive uppers on some older boats without drive showers, they are usually covered in chalky white residue. The residue is chalk and other minerals cooked out of the water by the heat of the upper unit, it gets that hot!

Old 05-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Registered

I highly recommend drive showers, especially the billet cap types. I also recommend golden showers, but that's for another posting.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Registered

Attached is a pic of some Smirek drive showers I recently installed. Took all of 10 minutes per side. I agree with the comments above. Cheap insurance. In my book, anything you can do to shore up the weak link in the equation is money well spent. My $0.02
Attached Thumbnails Newbie question: explain drive showers to me-dsc02791.jpg  
Old 05-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Gary Anderson
Drive shower = $100 bandaid to keep the poorly engineered bravo upper cool. Needed because of its small lube capacity, weak upper tower and housing. Not sure if it really helps keep drives alive longer though.
My $0.02
Gary
I feel the same way.... It's bull**** engineering from the factory that some bandaid approach has to be done out in the field.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Registered

Ok, so with the above in mind, is it as essential to use drive showers on Cobras? I swear these bastards hold 100 ounces of lube each.

My entire garbage can is filled with empty merc high perf bottles. Took about 3 bottles each Cobra drive.
(Oh yeah, and 33 ounces for my little boat with the alpha).

Quick Reply: Newbie question: explain drive showers to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.