Ready for first Run >

Ready for first Run

Notices

Ready for first Run

Old 05-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Ready for first Run

Once again I find myself turning to this board for suggestions and advice.
I will try not to be too long winded.

This is what we did for this season.
Installed mooneyham 10-71 blowers
Installed Richard lee intercoolers
the 540 bowties had approx 100 hours on them prior to installation of superchargers.
I had to lower the compression by means of changing pistons. It had Ross forged 10-1 pistons. I called russ
and had them make me a set of 8-1 blower pistons to the exact dimensions including weight of the prior ones. Tool steel pins and new speed pro rings gaped at
.028. Berry hone was used to finish cylinder walls.
The merlin fully ported cast iron heads were sent out and hardened seats were used with Ferrea icconel valves
New crane springs that compliment the crane 741 roller cams were installed. Cometic head gaskets. Bottom ends were not touched other then removing pistons.
Inspected all ok. (sonny bryant cranks, Carrilo rods)
Pulleys that came with the used blowers gives me a
6% overdrive. (Like to have 8lbs boost) Demon 850 carbs came with the blowers.
I boost referenced the power valves (6.5) 80 primary 90
secondary jets. added 1-1 linkage. Installed two heat range cooler spark plugs( Autolite r133) Upgraded fuel system in boat.

Started engines on stand locked timing at 30 degrees
They seem to run good.

Due to circumstances beyond my control My dyno guy never came through This was a very important step
But it ain't happening.

Is there anyone that has ever done this or has similar setup? Any advice? Have I overlooked anything?
I am anticipating a trial run this weekend Checking plugs for sure.

Please respond with any suggestions or advice
Thanks in advance
Gerry
Attached Thumbnails Ready for first Run-dscn0001.jpg  
Old 05-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT

Very nice set up you should have a great summer. You should be close on your pulleys to I think. Never know for sure till you run them.

You already know I can tell but just make sure to jet it rich you can always lean it down for more power. I am not familiar with Setting up a Demon so I have no input on jet sizes except watch them plugs closely. You will need to check them at several different throttle settings!

Are you running fuel pressure gauges along with upgrading your fuel system accordingly also.

I run boost referenced primary power valves and the secondary is plugged and jetted up along with I have progressive linkage. Not exactly your set up.

Depending on what your vacuum is at idle IN GEAR you may have to adjust what power valves you run. That 6.5 may be too high.

Oh yea did I say lean is mean and rich is safe.

Sounds like you have done your research just watch the plugs like you said you would and take it easy for a while till you get it dialed in for sure. Blower motors do not give you to many second chances if they are run LEAN.

I know I was nervous as hell when I splashed my first blower motor. Not quite as bad as when I fired up my first blower motor. Before I fired it up I must of checked and double checked the plug wiring I forget how many times. Along with double checking the timing a million times before I tried to fire it up that first time. I must of done something right it fired right away and scared me!

Last edited by paradigm shift; 05-09-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Registered

Thanks for the response
What are you running for Jets and make.size carbs on your setup?
Fuel pressure gauges read 8 psi at idle.

The carbs and blowers were set up on 572,s prior.
They had 86 and 96 and they were not boost referenced.
They are standard street demons. Factory had them with 82
88. I called Barry grant and there tech said they were the wrong carburators for the application and did not want to give any info on what had to be done to get them Blower calibrated.

I got the name of BG's Tech supervisor . I asked him what would he do If he had to make these work. He said it will work fine if this is done . Boost reference. 1-1 slip linkage, Tunnel ram
floats, Start with 80 primary 90 secondary. Check plugs.
One nice thing in regards to barry grant is all there specs are on there website. If you look at there blower calibrated carbs and compare them to the street demons you can actually see what they change.with the Exception of there metering blocks. (different part #,s.) In comparison I checked Holley but there specs are not online.

Thats how I came up with 80,s and 90,s for starting jets.
actually fatter then there B/C,s and leaner then there streets.

While running the engines on the stand at idle above the blower I have 18 hg about 16hg under blower.
I will be monitoring it at cruise speeds.

When I first started them I fired it with open headers and throttle plate adjusted open around 1/16 inch. Set timing with plugs out. Fired right up and set several alarms off in the cars at the dealership. Sounded incredible.

Words cant describe how nervous I will be this weekend.
I will have to take one of my wifes Zanex just to get the boat off the trailer.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:53 AM
Registered

Maybe I should fatten it up a little more.

check this out
The carbs Im working with are the 850,s

http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=29

Notice how much leaner there jets on the B/C carbs.
http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/defa...e=29&specs=29l
Old 05-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a 525 with a 1071 at low boost NO inner cooler. 6% under driven. 2 850 holleys I reworked boost referenced. A little over carbed but I have been very happy. I am at about 5 psi boost. Pretty conservative set up.

Not sure how my old holleys compare to the new carburators. Way to much information overload on links you listed but some great information. Gotta love the web. Anyway I do not have my carb sheets in front of me but I opened my power valve restrictor size a little. Mine was a little lean right before secondary opened at high cruise speeds. With your 1-1 linkage you have a very different set up though.

You are probably close. Just take your set of jets and if you think it is lean do not run it untill you can fatten it up.