Gimbal Or Steering Lever

Notices

Gimbal Or Steering Lever

Old 05-24-2004, 10:15 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimbal Or Steering Lever

Ok, I have about a 2 inch L-R slop and NO Up and Down slop in my B1. I followed the rules at: MERCSTUFF.COM to see where it was coming from. It looks like it's only a steering lever. Because I was able to see the bottom of the gimbal shaft and it moved right along with the gimbal.

Has anyone changed out their steering shaft and how hard was it? You kinda have to stand on your head just to see it? What else should I do when down there? Any preventative measures I need to take?
Attached Thumbnails Gimbal Or Steering Lever-100_0319.jpg  
Old 05-24-2004, 12:11 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gimbal Or Steering Lever

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A BRAVO1( NOT AN ALPHA) I MAKE A SWIVEL SHAFT COVER PLATE THAT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE MUCH EASER. CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE WWW.JRMARINE.COM . CLICK ON COVER PLATE INSTRUCTIONS AND YOU WILL SEE.ONLY OTHER WAY IS A PAIN IN THE ASS THE MERCURY WAY. RON BENDER 216-390-1330
Old 05-24-2004, 12:21 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by WILDTHING TAZ
AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A BRAVO1( NOT AN ALPHA) I MAKE A SWIVEL SHAFT COVER PLATE THAT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE MUCH EASER. CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE WWW.JRMARINE.COM . CLICK ON COVER PLATE INSTRUCTIONS AND YOU WILL SEE.ONLY OTHER WAY IS A PAIN IN THE ASS THE MERCURY WAY. RON BENDER 216-390-1330

Thanks Rod...I have been to your web site quite often. Has helped me understand a lot. I have to be honest and say that cutting into the gimbal worries me a bit. I believe I saw a post about a member that took on water after he cut his open. Can you set the record straight? I'd like to hear from the pro.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Registered

Bump
Old 11-11-2004, 06:17 AM
Registered

What type of steering do you have? cable to power assist cylinder?

I ask because when the engine isn't running, you can move the drive L and R as the cylinder is not charged. Once the engine fires up, it charges the cylinder, and movement is gone. Just make sure that isn't whats happening!
Old 11-11-2004, 06:43 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue by You, I have a 25 Active Thunder that had the same type of play you have. It turned out it was the swivel shaft came loose and wore out the gimbal ring its self. Luckily I was still under warranty!! I contacted Ron Bender and he hooked me up with a kit of his and it worked great and it looks WAY better than the Frankenstien plugs!!
Old 11-11-2004, 07:04 AM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Smile Re: Gimbal Or Steering Lever

THERE YOU HAVE IT. I HAVE MARINA'S AND HP BOATERS USING THE COVER PLATE & SWIVEL SHAFTS ALL OVER THE US.I HAVE MORE WAYS TO KEEP YOUR GIMBEL'S ALIVE LONGER. JUST GIVE ME A CALL. 216-390-1330. MY 37 OL HAS HAD NO REPAIR SINCE I WORKED ON THEM IN THE YEAR 2001. I FEEL THATS AN UNBELIEVABLE TASK BUT I DID IT. AS FAR AS ONE LEAKING I DID NOT HEAR IF IT. IF THERE WAS ONE IT'S PASSABLE IF CARE WASN'T TAKEN INSTALLING IT. BUT IF THAT HAPPENS THERE ARE WAYS TO GET AROUND THE LEAK. BY CUTTING INTO THE HOUSING WHERE WE DO YOU DO NOT HURT THE STRENGTH OF THE HOUSING BY PUTTING IN THE OEM PLUGS INTO THE SIDE OF THE HOUSING CUT INTO THE STRENGTH MORE THAN MY WAY. SO THIS IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. WE ALSO REPAIR BELL HOUSINGS WHEN THE THREADS STRIP OUT ON THE PIVOT PIN. WE NOW HAVE GIMBEL RING EXCHANGES TO CUT DOWN ON REPAIR TIME. CHECK OUT MY WEB SIGHT AT WWW.JRMARINE.COM
RON BENDER. IT SEEMS IN YOUR CASE IT'S YOUR RING & SWIVEL SHAFT THAT'S GIVING YOU MOST OF THE PROBLEM. ALSO THE UP & DOWN PLAY COMES FROM THE TIGHTING OF THE SWIVEL. SO YOU NEED TO GET IT OUT AND SEE.

Last edited by WILDTHING TAZ; 11-11-2004 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:33 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Ron, I have some cool tools for this repair....Do you want them back? Maybe I'll get the time to send them this year!!