Bravo Oil Resevoir Fitting broke at transom plate >

Bravo Oil Resevoir Fitting broke at transom plate

Notices

Old 05-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok took the boat out this weekend and noticed a foul smell of drive oil (TORCO) that stuff has a very unique smell. I opened the hatch and glanced at the drive oil bottle and noticed it was empty and now the contents were nicely dispersed all over my bilge. I checked the bottle cap and it was secure and did have the rubber grommet in the cap. So I refilled the bottle and headed back to the ramp to put the boat on the trailer.

When i got home i pulled the bottle from the boat and pressure tested the bottle it was ok, then i proceeded to blow into the oil reservoir line and heard the dreaded sound of air bubbles. I reached my hand down to the fitting that goes into the gimbal and found the source, when i tried to push the hose down the plastic fitting broke off in the tube.

Now here is my question mercruiser's diagram shows the fitting as two pieces on that goes through the gimbal and the other that compresses or snaps as a fitting onto the section that goes to the drive. So I am assuming that the piece that broke off is the piece that connects the oil reservoir bottle to the barb that broke off. However the diagram shows two offerings and I am confused.

Did mercury change the way they did this fitting, which one do i have. I purchased my bravo drive package and gimbal when merc offered the small block package with the 350. I only use the gimbal now and have the new IMCO Sc drive bolted to it.

I know i will have to remove alot of parts to get at this bugger, so any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Bravo Oil Resevoir Fitting broke at transom plate-d1.gif  

Last edited by Krumbsnatcher; 05-24-2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Default Re: Bravo Oil Resevoir Fitting broke at transom plate

You see the two ways they did it. The bottom one uses a standard hose barb. I have the inset system. There is a grey plastic clip that you depress to release. The whole setup is plastic. If it broke, I'd be looking at that little nipple as being suspect. How you replace it though is up in the air.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bravo Oil Resevoir Fitting broke at transom plate

ttt