trailer restoration >

trailer restoration

Notices

trailer restoration

Old 06-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer restoration

I have a 1988 eagle tandem axle trailer, and I'm trying to decide if I should go through it from top to bottom. It goes down the road well and the brakes work fine but its really starting to show its age, mostly surface rust and faded red paint. I've only had it for a short while and aside from pumping in some grease into the bearings I have done nothing with it.

I was thinking of stripping it down, sandblasting & repainting and then adding all new components back on(coupler ===>tail-lights). Is this something I could get satisfactory results on doing myself with an airless sprayer, or would I be further ahead to pay (how much?) to have it stripped + repainted?

Is there any way can I tell if its rusting/weakining from the inside out? I'd hate to spend time and money on this thing only to find out its structurally shot.

Also anyone know if Eagle is still around for parts? I heard they might have gone out of business, I haven't had a chance to call to see if I can still get decals and some of those diamondplate fender steps I need.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2004, 03:03 PM
micky dee

Default Re: trailer restoration

what we do on the box frames of the older land rovers is to take a hammer and hit the frame. this will indicate any bad rotten areas. you will get a dull sound instead of a soild ping.
sand blasting is a good way to get the rust off. or have the frame acid washed. that will get into the inside of the box chassi. use a good quality industrial primmer followed by quality top coats. maybe even expoxy paint. have the inside of the frame coated with a tar type under coating. not sure if the trailer has the box chassi or not, but in any event dont use a cheep paint! ie tremclad . imo

Old 06-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: trailer restoration

If you need parts try www.redneck-trailer.com , they have tons of stuff and you can get a catalog and find everything that you would need.

As far as the refinishing goes, sand blast it, then come back with etching primer then epoxy primer to seal it, then good epoxy paint. It will look brandy new then. Good luck.

Robert