Bottom fouling protection >

Bottom fouling protection

Notices

Bottom fouling protection

Old 06-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom fouling protection

Just purchased a 1980 Monza 24. Boat is original and do not want to bottom paint. However, I boat in the Chesapeake Bay and would like to leave the boat in the water for a few weeks at a time. Was told there is a spray available that can be applied to the bottom, that is not a paint, that will protect for several weeks, but I can't find any info any wherenyone heard of this... or any other suggestions for bottom protection? Thx...Norm
Old 06-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Registered

Wink Re: Bottom fouling protection

Norm,

There is a botom coating "wax" called Easy on that works in low fouling areas and lasts a full season. It is available in the new Boat US catalog for $30. It says it works in fresh and intermittent salt water. if you are only in a few weeks at a time it may work. Good luck!

Jason
Old 06-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bottom fouling protection

I've tried all kind of waxes from $35.00 to 125.oo a can and if the boat is left in the water its gonna get green......I did finally find something that has worked for the last few years my buddy hooked me up with it ...it's a spray on (pump sprayer...like for garden weed killers)bottom coat SKATT it goes on like water and dries like a milky white glaze donut look ....he has been running it on his 38 fountain for 4 years you can power wash it off easily and just applies it once a season. I will post the adress from the can tomorrow..works great..
Old 06-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

CAUSIN TROUBLE , PLEASE POST THIS INFO , I'M SHURE MANY PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED. DOES YOUR FRIEND LEAVE HIS BOAT IN FRESH OR SALT WATER ? AND DOES HE PULL THE BOAT ONCE A SEASON OR EVERY FEW WEEKS AND RE APPLY ? DOES THE ALGAE NOT STICK AT ALL ? it won't harm the bottom at all and comes off with just power washing alone or a hull cleaner ?
Old 06-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered

We both leave our boats in for the summer fresh water(Lake erie) You do not need to re-apply until next season the bottom does not get algae sticking to the fiberglass when you run it it washes the bottom.... we pull the boats once a month ( not always) and wash them. When you apply the Skatt bottom coat tape off about 3 inches above your water line ...mask off .....and spray on thats it let dry for 15 minutes and put her in.... I thought I had a can in my garage but its at work I will post Monday early its 29.95 a can 35 - 38 ft boat I used 2 & 1/2 cans..per boat. it power washes off no need for any heavy cleaners

Last edited by causin trouble; 06-13-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I used to leave mine in for a month or so at a time, and I pulled it once a week for a blast with the washer and a scrub with a pushbroom.

This donut stuff sounds pretty cool.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ttt
Old 06-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered

I spoke with the company that makes SCATT(located in Georgia) He told me depending on your location and the water conditions for algae you can possibly get away without cleaning it for the season you need to pull it once a month and check it.when we pull ours you can just wash it by hand with water and a sponge...

phone number for the co that makes it is 770 487 9837 (RELEASE INDUSTRIES) Jason told me if you have a couple guys in your area quantity purchases (of a CASE 12 CANS) YOU SAVE 6.00 A QUART and no shipping charges...

I've tried allot of waxes and other products but this one works well...
Old 06-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

Causin Trouble.... thx for the info. Sounds like a great product, just what I'm looking for, and pulling once a month to clean is no problem. I'll give them a call tomorrow and give it a try. Will post results using on the Chesapeake Bay in the future.

Norm @ Red Eyes
Old 06-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

I used Scatt on a previous boat that was in fresh water (lk. st. clair) and it provided marginal protection. The bottom turned a tea stain color and there would be algee slime but no growth. I reapplied the product annually over 4-5 years. I was told it is silicone based product.
I've tried every miracle cure for keeping a bottom clean and there is none. Waxes, Scatt, Dolphinite Go-Fast (horror story), Speed Wax, Aurora what have I missed ?

My three boating wishes have always been -
1. Clear bottom paint that works.
2. Transducers that work with stepped hull aireation issue.
3. Spider repelant that works.
Simple wishes, none requiring additional horsepower !

ed

ed

Quick Reply: Bottom fouling protection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.