BravoI impeller replacement >

BravoI impeller replacement

Notices

BravoI impeller replacement

Old 07-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo1 impeller replacement

I recently purchased a 1989 Formula 242LS with a 502 and Bravo1 outdrive. I had it out yesterday and the engine temperature began to rise. I checked the exhaust and didn't see any water coming out. Can anyone tell me whats involved with replacing the impeller?

Last edited by Waterdogs; 07-06-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BravoI impeller replacement

Just take the housing apart. I think there is 5 bolts holding it together. Piece of cake.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Registered

Probably the seawater pump.It's located under the front of the motor.Go to a dealer and get the whole pump assembly,it's between $75 to $100 bucks,that consists of a new impeller and housing.If you look down the front of the motor you will see the belts or serpentine belt just to the left of the lower pulley you will see the pulley for the water pump you should be prepared to cut your fingers a little and do some major contorting.There are two water lines coming in from the back of the boat undo those unbolt the pump put the pulley on the new housing and bolt everything back up.Depending on how much room you have it can be done in 1-2 hours,not a fun job but if you do it yourself it will save a good amount of cash.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

You can find Chilton's like Marine repair manuals in places like West Marine or Boater's World. It's a fairly straight forward replacement.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Registered

The formula is the worst, as Rambunctious. you need two people, one to hold the pump and one to work on the bolts. Good luck and take your time, upsidedown is a hard way to stay for long. Get the new plastic housing, I bet yours is scratched.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Registered

Ive been going thru this myself. I had the boat flowing plenty of water on the boat rack, put her in the drink and in short order started running hot. SHut it down, checked the oil, seems ok. I pulled the pump again and it the impeller was still intact, so obviously it was getting water. Just wasnt pumping it out enough. I read thru alot of previous posts and alot of guys were endorsing the Jabsco unit which is bronze. I think you should look at that. It seems like the MerCruiser unit is not very good from the factory. It is amazing that they would seem to skimp on such an important part. Who would want to fry a $10,000+ motor because of a $200 pump. Also backflush the hoses to make sure no bits of the old impeller are being passed thru.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the replies. I saw a neighbor replace his last year, I remember him leaned over between the rear seat and engine swearing! Then he started swearing again when he realized that he swapped the water hoses.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Registered

Its not a hard job if you have room to get down by it. If you don't have room to get down to it easy then you will be sore the next morning. I have had to do it twice last year and can now do it in 15 min in the water. I always carry a spare after the last time...
All you need to do is remover the five bolts, remover the pump body, install the new impeller and reinstall. The only trick I would say is making sure the impeller flaps are going the right way. There should be an arrow on the back of the housing. I always use tie wraps to bend all the flaps the correct direction then insert the impeller. Then I cut the tie wrap with tin snips. It just helps keep the flaps the right direction because it is in there real tight. I also always put a little soap on the rubber to help slide it in the housing. Anyways hope this helps

TMANN
Old 07-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Registered

Make sure you are running that Bravo in more than 3 ft of water. With the Low Water Pickup, you will collect the shoreline and that could be the cause of your clog. I was out today, got to close and ran the temp right up.

Read the other posts on this topic
Old 07-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Registered

The impeller can't be put in wrong. Lightly oil it, it will correct itself the minute it starts turning. It also helps to do this so it does not start dry. Know whay I do? I put the muffs on and run the hose to prime the pump if it has been sitting, do this with the drive up and it will stay in there and don't start the motor until in the water. It works. I have not had to do it on this boat but look how easy it will be. The back of the seat moves with the hatch. Ingeneous
Attached Thumbnails BravoI impeller replacement-motors-oso-size.jpg  

Quick Reply: BravoI impeller replacement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.