Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler? >

Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?

Notices

Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?

Old 07-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?

Has anyone tried combining an M1SC Procharger with the AW504 intercooler? Is there any reason it can't be done....plumbing, brackets, alignment etc.?

Obviously the AW504 is going to have a greater cooling capacity than the 324 intercooler, but is it enough to make a significant difference in performance? Has anyone tried this combination and if so was there any improvement over the 324?

I currently have an M1sc setup on a 502mpi and wanted to bump up the boost (currently at 5psi) but didn't want to put the engine at risk if I should have to run with 91 octane fuel for a tank.

Does anyone have the 504 they're looking to sell if its compatable with the M1?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?

There has been 2 of them on e-bay over last 6 months,supposedly 10 hours or so,in chicago area all polished up,bids got up to 500$ or so but didn't meet sellors reserve,i haven't looked lately. I'm going to post a pick of how i mounted mine in my 272 (it wouldn't fit in front of motor between the seat)
Attached Thumbnails Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?-picture-2-010.jpg  
Old 07-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Heat wave,to answer your question on performance,i remember something in the procharger advertising claiming you could run higher boost on 89 octane w/aw504 because of its cooling capacity,Tomcat could really tell you because he compares his r-tech intercooler to the smaller 324 (like 3-4 psi drop less) and i would imagine the drop on a aw504 would only be half of that due to size. As far as installation,you can see from the pic how i mounted mine,it's bolted to a bracket i built (which is lagged to floor) and then plumbed w/tubes and rubber fittings so with enough fabrication i'm sure you could make one fit your boat also. I may be putting the r-tech on my boat this winter,if so my aw504 may be for sale then,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 07-27-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

There will be a small gain due to the extra cooling of the 504, but as Procharger claims, the real change would be an extra safety margin before detonation, allowing a smaller pulley and higher boost. In other words, you would need to spin the blower faster to make more power.

Here's some food for thought. When we dyno tested our original prototype we kept the core size very similar to the 324 core (we ended up at 353). When we swapped intercoolers, the low restriction Rtech increased HP from 650 to 740. When we did the same swap without running any water through the intercoolers the Rtech increased HP from 630 to 720. It was a 90 HP gain whether there was water running or not. The water itself only added 20 HP!

What this tells you is that swapping the 504 intercooler will only add HP if the pressure loss through it is less than the 324. This pressure drop has little to do with the resistance of the core itself, and more to do with the air flow pathway before and after the core i.e. ELBOWS. Because the 504 intercooler is bigger, some people end up mounting it to a stringer, then connecting with many elbows. This could end up worse than the 324. articfriends has mounted his 504 as well as it can be done. But there is still a nasty 180 degree turn made inside a relatively small hose.

You may not have the room for it, but look at how the Rtech supercooler for your engine is mounted. No elbows after the blower, just a gradual expansion to the top 1/2 of the core. Then the (unavoidable) 180 degree turn is made within the intercooler housing at much higher cross-sectional area and therefore much lower velocity and pressure loss. Finally the air passes through the bottom 1/2 of the core into a plenum that the throttle body draws from. This is the best possible configuration for a centrifugal blower and intercooler mounted on an MPI engine, but it does require 6" of headroom above the intake plenum.

I don't know about the used price on a 504 intercooler, but the new price will get you more than halfway to the Rtech supercooler shown here. The lower pressure drop of the Rtech will get you more HP without spinning the blower any faster.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?-engine-boat-front-view.jpg   Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?-looking-thru-transition-blower.jpg   Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?-sealing-core-divider-housing.jpg  

Old 07-27-2004, 08:30 PM
1975 X-18 Donzi, Arneson
Platinum Member

Tomcat is right. The less restrictive the air flow the more boost, less heat = more power.
I gained alot by cleaning up my Plumbing.The M3 has a 3" output, the 324IC has 2 1/2" tubes, when the 504IC has a 3" tubes. With the 504 I was able to have less bends in the air piping.
The air temp was not much cooler on a quick dyno pull. The power came from having less restriction in the air passage.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?-donzi-engine-4-04-022-10-sm.jpg   Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?-donzi-engine-compartment-003sm.jpg  

Last edited by GEOO; 08-01-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Registered

Nice improvement GEOO.

I always say that the best configuration is fixed, so the improvement depends on how bad the before configuration was. You went from two 90s down to two 45s on the inlet to the intercooler, and from three 90s down to a big radius 150 degree turn after the intercooler. You can use the hat on the throttle body because you aren't worried about high velocity air screwing up the venturi's fuel metering. That's an interesting engine compartment; what boat is that?

heatwave3: Can you post a picture of your current 324 plumbing? This will tell us how much improvement you might be able to get.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I recently replaced my hoses (they were getting old/soft) and tubing going from blower to intercooler (it was getting nicked up).before the seasons over I'm going to put the stuff back on and mount a couple of temporary pressure gauges between blower and intercooler,intercooler and throttle plates and rig some pneumatic control tubing to helm with some 15 psi gauges and get 3 readings on my setup at various throttle settings(w/o,p/t etc). I will post my results,i always wondered what the pressure differential was between the outlet of my intercooler and what i am currently reading at the helm from efi plenum (drop acrossed the throttle plate/butterflies),know i am also wondering what the actual drop acrossed the intercooler is. It may be a month or so but i will definately post the results,Smitty
Old 07-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Registered

Gotta love those dyno operators. "Let's change everything at once so we don't know where the gain/loss is coming from!"

Seriously though, I often tell guys that have already gone to a smaller pulley that they really need to put the big pulley back on when they change to a supercooler. Most of the time that's what stays on the boat, even though they may try the smaller pulley on the dyno.

Nice boat, must surprise a lot of people!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Registered

Tomcat,

Any thoughts on the pictures I emailed to you of my blower setup?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Registered

heatwave3:

I checked my email and private messages; no pictures. Can you try again. Give me a call at (416) 709-8714.

Quick Reply: Procharger AW324 vs AW504 cooler?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.