Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Possible debris in fuel tank? >

Possible debris in fuel tank?

Notices

Possible debris in fuel tank?

Old 08-04-2004, 03:28 PM
f252tbird

Default Possible debris in fuel tank?

Anybody have any good suggestions on how to clean out my fuel tank. Tested boat on trailer hooked up to fuel tank and engine wants to die after about 30 seconds @3000 rpm. when fuel pressure falls to zero. Tested boat w/ alternate fuel source hooked up to fuel pump and engine runs fine holding 6 lbs fuel pressure. Seems to me something is clogging my fuel pick-up in the tank. Any other ideas?

Old 08-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Default Re: Possible debris in fuel tank?

the fuel sending unit is most times fairly close to the pickup tubes. You can remove the sending unit and if yo do have junk in the tank then maybe you can syphon it out with another line through the sending unit opening. If not then i would try and see if you can get at the pickup tubes and remove them too see if they clogged up. Some have screens at he pickup as a firt line of deffence.....could be clogged up there too.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an easy job. Been there. Had a lot of glass debris and some kind of foam type substance. Remove pickup tube and sender. Siphon out all the gas and as much junk as possible using a big tube. This may sound stupid, but you hear about it every year, DO NOT try to vacuum out the tank even if it's empty. You need to fill it completely with water before you can do anything that could introduce a spark.
Gary
Old 08-05-2004, 07:09 AM
f252tbird

Thanks for the advice on this guys. I'm still a little leary of doing anything w/ something made to hold 100 gallons of gasoline, but it looks like I don't really have any choice at this point. I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem last week. I changed the filter and fuel pump, and kept losing pressure, and the engine would die. I pulled the pickup, checked it, cleaned it, checked the tank for junk, checked the vent, all was ok. I put it back together, and had the same problem. Then my friend (A marine mechanic for over 20 years), said "change the anti-siphon valve". He said he does at least 10 a year. I took it out and it looked fine. He said "Change it anyway". Guess what?? No more problem!!!
I guess he does know what he's talking about!
Old 08-05-2004, 06:36 PM
f252tbird

Where is the anti-siphon valve located?