Notices

Easy fix?

Old 08-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy fix?

Hey guys, i had a problem with my drive since i bought the boat and i think i just found out what the problem is, my drive would not go up or down the moment i press the button but it would hesitate for a second or two then move, today playing with my trimdicators i noticed that the drive didnt go all the way down, so i started inspecting it and this is what i found, you cant tell in the picture the problem but you will see what im talking about.
On the other side of the power thrim, the side the goes on the gimball ring there is a head nut and its rubbing against the gimbal ring where it has scraped the ring from going up and down and i think this is where it has been getting caught everytime i go up and down , you can also see the washer on the right, its not straight, going in alittle bit of an angle, i guess there is a bushing in there. Is this an easy fix? is there bushing there to replace without having to take it to the shop? also can this problem cause any kind of bad handling in the boat?
Sorry for the long post.
Any thought would be appreciated
Carlos
Attached Thumbnails Easy fix?-img_0497.jpg  
Old 08-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Easy fix?

Yes, you need new bushings. Actually it looks like it is missing altogether. I just replaced all of mine. I got them from here http://www.mercruiserparts.com/ Without the bushings the trim ram gets pulled in too close to the ring. Just undo that nut, pull the bolt out and the rams will be off. Put the new bushings in and tighten.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Registered

Here's the page you need, part # 16 http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...YDRAULIC+HOSES
Old 08-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info pure energy, did your boat handle different with this problem?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Registered

Mine were not too bad. I re-painted the drives and replaced them since everything was apart. Is there a bushing in yours? It looks like it is missing. Could it have been overtightened? I think your handling problems are a result of not being able to trim properly.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I know what you are talking about. Is it the screws over the plate that hold down the trim line that are scraping the gimbal ring? I have seen it before. Replacing the bushings doesn't usually fix it. I took out the screws and ground down the heads until I thought they would clear.

Good Luck
Old 08-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like that shaft may be bent. There should be a washer on both sides of the rubber bushing. The shaft is held in by "C" clips I think, normally the trim cylinder should not hit anything. You shouldnt have to grind the bolt heads if everything is correct. In the stock configuration it clears, unless someone change the screws..

Good luck
Dick