Hustler 444

Notices

Hustler 444

Old 08-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hustler 444

Just curious... what is the deal with the Hustler 444 that has been sitting at the Aqua Toy Store for 2 years?

This is the only 444 I have ever seen listed. Does it run for $&%* and they threw away the mold?

Looks like a nice boat, but it sure is gathering a lot of mothballs.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Hustler 444

Boomer-- Not sure which one you're referring to but I'd be willing to bet it's the one with the V-12 Torque motors that were discontinued. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's been on e bay and a number of sites. I could be wrong, but.... Lou
Old 08-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

V12 Torques.....when you come off the gas....hold on...it is going to hook right or left and you never know which way it is going to go. It also floats leaning over to one side in the water...no support for v12's I think torque is out of business.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last I heard was that Sterling has the rights to the motors and as of a year ago was going to do some development on them. But that was a year ago.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who ya going to get to work on the engines?Thats the only 444 i have seen. hope you dont need any hard parts if there out of biz.

They prob need to repower it ,it would help it sale.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rob-- My opinion is that the only way to sell that boat is without power. You could probably get some parts from Sterling, but why touch it with those motors? As I recall, Sterling bought the tooling, drawings,etc. You probably know all about it, but as I recall, Drag racing engine builder Dick Maskins was supposedly involved in the original design. At least that's what I recall reading. I got out on Lake Ontario Wed/Thurs/Fri this week in my Slingshot. Got a a lot of air Wed. Also spent a lot on gas Friday. Don't know your opinion, but a full tank of gas makes me check to see if my tabs are down the way it takes the edge off the boat--Lou
Old 08-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Yea it does make a difference on fuel load . It feels good when your about empty ,you can tell the difference in the seat of the pants. 200 gallons 1500pounds.On mine when ya hit about 60-65 you can feel the ass end lift up and the hull starts to free up. Just need mo power now.

I ran once on lite fuel and when I flushed the first engine it ran out of gas on the trailer

Old 08-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rob-- Need some advice. I've got Kiekaefer tabs with Bluewater indicators. The cables are frozen in the housing and buckled just above where they attach to the tabs. Do you have any tips on how to change those cables? Looks like a nightmare not to mention lifting the dash panel off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Lou
Old 08-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lmarth
Rob-- Need some advice. I've got Kiekaefer tabs with Bluewater indicators. The cables are frozen in the housing and buckled just above where they attach to the tabs. Do you have any tips on how to change those cables? Looks like a nightmare not to mention lifting the dash panel off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Lou

Mine has done the same thing. I bought a new one from Hustler for about 25.00 . It must be common with these cables .I guess they need to redesign them to make them water proof and corrosion proof.They look to run thru the pvc pipe that runs under the motors and under the floor. It is going to be a beioch. The one on the left is longer.ya need a little midget to get down there

I plan on taken the motors out this winter to do some mods so I am waiting to do them then .Need more speed

Good luck

Rob

Old 08-31-2004, 06:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rob-- I appreciate the response. I called BAM and they said that the cables last only a couple years, especially in salt water. They recommended an after market cable that holds up better. They needed to know the length of the cables to have them made up. Changing the cables with the motors out will help. At the same time, I'd change the bilge pump and float switch. I'm going to call Joe before I remove the dash panel to see if there is some other way to get at the helm end of the cables. I thought working on race cars was a b***h until I bought a boat. Got a lot of air one day last week, opened the hatch and the horn is hanging on the port side where the hatch opens. I didn't even know the horn was tucked up under there. Replacing the horn mounting screws should be easy--after I pull the motor! Just kidding, but it's going to be unbelievable getting that back up there and starting the screws. You may want to check yours. Mine is one of the few Slingshots with part of the gas tank protruding into the engine compartment. The engines are forward because of the transmissions which makes everything back there a struggle. I've got 800SC's and wish I too had more power. A Slingshot with 900SC's has got to be a real trip! Lou

Quick Reply: Hustler 444

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.