Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Advice needed on Prop selection >

Advice needed on Prop selection

Notices

Advice needed on Prop selection

Old 08-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Excalibur502mag

Default Advice needed on Prop selection

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with using Mercury or Yamaha outboard props on a Bravo 1? They seem to fit fine, but I don't want to do damage to my outdrive.

Old 08-10-2004, 05:21 PM
texasbaja204

Default Re: Advice needed on Prop selection

I have a Yamaha stern drive and use a Mirage plus and works fine

Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Excalibur502mag

Thanks Texasbaja,
Does anyone have a good idea for locking the props down, because there is no locking tab washer? I bought a large lockwasher and it seams to hold, but I am still worried about losing one.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the Merc props are changeable from an Outboard application to a stern drive application (ie...Laser II, Mirage, etc..), however the diameter of the props are typically smaller for an outboard application. The Laser II which was designed for Outboards will work on some lighter IO boats with small blocks or lower HP applications. If you want to spin a Mirage efficiently, you need twins or some HP to make it work like it wants to. Typically, if your boat runs less than 55 MPH, a Mirage will not do much for you - go to the Laser II or a comparable prop for the best performance if you are comparing the two. The next level would be the 4 blade Bravo, but again, you need some HP's to turn 4 blades efficiently. Depends on the app. BTW, I still have one of the fastest twin STOCK SMALL BLOCK boats in the country for sale. You indicated that you wanted to make your 23 Excalibur go faster. Why not gain 6 feet and more speed? My P-29 Scarab runs 80 on GPS with 350 EFI's and lab Black Hawk 32's. I will let it go for a reasonable price to someone that I know is going to take care of it. It is number (5) of 29. There are only 25 of these left. PM me or email me at [email protected] if you have more prop questions
Old 08-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Excalibur502mag

OshKosh, Thanks for all the advice!
However, bad news is, I live on a private lake in Nebraska that has a cap on overall length of boat (23 feet)
Good news is I have a friend looking for a big boat.
My email address is [email protected]
Tell me more about it and some pictures. You might have a sale. I have heard him talk about the 29 Scarab. Let's talk