Converting Wet To Dry Headers >

Converting Wet To Dry Headers

Notices

Converting Wet To Dry Headers

Old 08-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Wet To Dry Headers

OK, I'm having a rough year. I blew up the new motor so we freshend up the old motor and installed a roller cam, runs great only it does not like my lightning headers and I have milky oil .... REVERSION ?? I need to move the water outlet out the header, but I don't have tailpipes, my lightning's connect to Teague Switchable mufflers with rubber hoses ? If I weld the water outlet and dump it over the transom how do I cool the hoses or what do I need to do ?
Old 08-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: Converting Wet To Dry Headers

I talked to john at lightning headers about doing the same thing last year,you should call him at 909-678-5631. I have lightnings w/silent choice option and i was going to eliminate the silent choice and reduce the water to them because i was concerned about possible reversion. He walked me thru exactly what to do on the phone,it would be better for you to discuss specifically what your doing with him instead of me giving you info 2nd hand,(cam duration at .050 and centerline is most important),Smitty
Old 08-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I modified my Lightnings to run almost dry.
If you bring it up here to GR we can make the change.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Almost dry,key word to keep from burning the tips and hoses! Tinkerer,did you find a solution to your flappers cracking?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Registered

Tinkerer, that would be great, give me a call (269-927-5505) or PM me, I would love to talk to you about what you did. Are you near Walker ?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:15 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

you need to have some water on those rubber hoses. I melted a set and its not pretty. IT took maybe 5 minute swithout water on them.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Registered

Thanks Puder, I already found that out once when I lost a hose connection and had no water going through the headers. It was ugly, I had to use duct tape to come back in.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

articfriends - I just don't start the engine with the silent choice closed.
OH and I have to remember to open it up when I get it on plane.
Otherwise the exhaust pressure bends the plates around the shafts.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Darkhorse468

Originally Posted by dlbCheckmate
OK, I'm having a rough year. I blew up the new motor so we freshend up the old motor and installed a roller cam, runs great only it does not like my lightning headers and I have milky oil .... REVERSION ?? I need to move the water outlet out the header, but I don't have tailpipes, my lightning's connect to Teague Switchable mufflers with rubber hoses ? If I weld the water outlet and dump it over the transom how do I cool the hoses or what do I need to do ?
Hey boss, let me know how you make out...I have two pair of CMI split tubes that leak down and right now their at CMI possibly getting repaired, but I would feel much better if I ran them almost dry or even better. I also heard about drains being made for the rubber feed manifolds, so no water stays in the tubes after shut down, as well as less going throught the pipes during running. My major problem was they leaked down after shutdown, causing hydrolock and an aweful banging (re water NOT compressing). This drain system would have worked for me in the short term, but having a leakdown at speed, well I don't have to explain that to you.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dry Exhaust

I have a 290 duration cam in my BBC and need to watch for reversion. Is there a good dry exhaust available to eliminate this concern? I have standard Mercruiser setup currently

Thank you

Quick Reply: Converting Wet To Dry Headers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.