Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lots to Learn! >

Lots to Learn!

Notices

Lots to Learn!

Old 08-29-2004, 12:23 PM
flynbryan

Lots to Learn!

Bought this boat 3 years ago - didn't realize at the time the stock manifolds were rusting out. I had the local boat shop pull the motor - brought it home and started cleaning it up. Sanded - painted - replaced most of the rusted parts. Added stainless marine exhaust / edelbrock intake. Motor runs perfect never had a problem - until now. Oil drain pan plug is leaking - oil drain pan surface at plug has some corrosion and surface is not flat. Tried nylon gasket / ultra copper / teflon tape / new plug - no luck. Also noticed that motor is starting to rust in spots again - #$%! !! I probably should have noticed this before I put motor back in boat. This is my first I/O boat - have a great deal to learn about the basics - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
1. what do most of you use to pull your motors?
2. Can I ever stop motor from rusting or was it too late when I purchased it?
3. Any suggestions on stopping oil leak without a new pan?
Bryan

Old 08-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lots to Learn!

1. Anything {safe} that will let the engine clear the engine room.
2. I boat in fresh water but find that due to condensation, anything that is not painted {other than SS or Alum.} will get some rust. I clean it up as best I can from time to time. Then a light coat of WD40 seems to help some.
3. Sounds like you've tried about everything there is. If it's corroded that badly, probably best to replace the pan. Good time to throw on a bigger pan for replacement.

"I feel your pain" {sorry to quote the slug}. I'm on a learning curve as well. This is a good place to pick up valuable info. Maybe someone else will chime in with some better ideas for you on this. Best of luck.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I use a forklift. Most guys use an overhead structural member and a chain fall.
Some use tall cherry pickers. I saw one on Ebay. I should have bought it.

2) I think your motor got wet. Really wet. Rust never sleeps, but you can usually hold it off for a few years at a time. I think water sat against your oil pan for a long time.
(Or condensation)

3)Yes, weld the drain plug in place. No.
I wouldn't nurse a leak in an oil pan plug. I would replace the pan. While you are at it, install a 90 degree fitting and an oil change system. Cheap. Then you won't have to screw with it at all. (No pun intended).
Old 08-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a temporary solution you can try a rubber expansion plug. Sold at auto parts store but not a permanant solution.