Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
converting from a bravo1 to a xz >

converting from a bravo1 to a xz

Notices

converting from a bravo1 to a xz

Old 09-04-2004, 09:44 AM
krypto 1 in CT

Default converting from a bravo1 to a xz

i thought it was just the gimble bearing and trim limitters.but did a search on it and saw on a post that there is a grease seal that needs to be replaced and the ring that holds the bellows in place and also that there is somthing that goes with the bearing to hold it in and there is supposed to be a kit with all this stuff.i already have the hp tramsom assembly with mech indicators maybe that stuff is needed if you putting a xz on a standered tramsom assembly?.anybody know what the deal is with this switch.also i need the spanner wrench to open up the trim pistons anbody know where i can buy one online for a reasonable price the local merc dealer wanted like $150 for it.thanks sean

Old 09-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: converting from a bravo1 to a xz

I would think you can get a adjustable Spanner wrench from an automotive shop ......on the Alpha Drives there is enough lip to grab the cap with channel locks ..got em off with no damage ...but I think Bravo'a are flush ....also there is a site that just sells merc Sterndrive parts and tools ...I'll post it when I find it ....
Old 09-04-2004, 11:17 AM
krypto 1 in CT

i was thinking the same thing a adjustable spanner wrench.i have a good tool shop in town im going to go check them out.mercruiserparts has it online for $136 what a rip off.thanks for the reply.sean

Old 09-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sean, bam marine makes the kit. i cant remember if it came with the seal but it had the gimble bearing, and a corigated metal thing that went around the outside of the brearing to hold greese in i suppose, a bellow insert, trim ram spacers and i think thats it. if your gimble bearing has a red dot on it then it is already the right one. i am glad all worked out with theat guy. sweet deal for sure. you are more than welcome to borrow my home made spanner tool or i can have my buddu make you one for like 25 bucks. works perfect, looks crude. call my cell if you need it. brian
Old 09-04-2004, 05:12 PM
krypto 1 in CT

thanks brian,im all set with the wrench.i went and bought a adjustable spanner wrench from the local tool store for $28 and it worked fine.i had a set of limiters i had already purchased because the outdrive will just touch the bottom of the swim platform when brought up all the way.but i never put them on.so i did that and found there were already 2 per side so now im at the limmit in the directions of 3 per side.the outdrive stops at around 3/8 under the platform now with the b1 hopfully the xz doesnt hit it.almost to sweet a deal.im a little nervous having sent a check for that much.just hoping a actual brand new correct ratio and rotation xz gets delivered.this blows labor day weekend and nothing to do but turn a wrench and go online.at least im getting out on the water tommorow on my friends fishing boat.

Old 09-04-2004, 05:20 PM
krypto 1 in CT

hey brian isnt there a stock car dirt track in oswego.is it still there?

Old 09-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the guy will take care of you. i was stressed the first time but he always delivered as promised. this is the 4th one including 2 to me and another to a buddy so you have nothing to worry about. there is a race track here but i don't think it is dirt. this s a big race weekend here , classic weekend or something like that. i have never been but i sponsored the rookie of the year in the super's this weekend so i have free tickets and pit passes maybe i will check out the main event tomorrow afternoon.