Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed? >

Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed?

Notices

Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed?

Old 09-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed?

What do I need in addition to the following:?

1. bellhousing
2. coupler
3. transom plates/gimble housing
4. shift bracket
5. drive

I know that I have to fill the transom hole and relocate the engine. I already have a bravo style CMI exhaust system and bravo exhaust location cutouts in the transom, and the new style trim pump.

What else other than $$$$$ do I need to add to the list of hardware? Thanks for the HELP. Chris
Old 09-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed?

Only thing that i can think of would be some plumbing things. Does the Bravo have a water pickup that you will use or will you use a through hull. If using a through hull make sure to have the block off plate for the drive. I just finished this conversion also, good luck.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

new lower mount starters if your where top mount and to change the ring gear for the proper starter.also oil coolers if yours where in the bell houising.now would be a good time to install real motor plates if you have the stock ones.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have thru hull water pickup.. dont block off the water that goes thru the drive. Plumb it so it will go back out thru the transom and spray on the drive like a shower. The bravo drive needs water flowing thru it as well as sprayed on it to survive or temps go sky high..'

Good luck with your project
Old 09-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

THANKS, I have the bottom mount starter allready. I plan on using the water pickup in the unit but I will also make a provision for cooling the exterior of the drive. What transom assembly should I look for the std or HD?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt go with anything but the HD transom unit. But then I had a standard one break at 80mph.. wouldnt wish that one on anyone..
If you go with an XZ/XR drive, make sure you have the proper gimble bearing and trim limit kit for the trim cylinders.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't want to go throught the hassle of the glass work for the transom I have a set of Mercury TRS to Bravo adapter plates the go between the gimble and transom.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stellings also makes a stand off box that adapts a TRS cut out to a bravo setup without glass work. I would go on and put hydraulic steering in with it. It is well worth the extra money.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cig3 how do theese plates work How much do you want for a set for 1 drive? Thanks, Chris

Last edited by IRONMAN; 09-17-2004 at 03:05 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

The TRS adapters are made by Mercury. They simply bolt up to the existing TRS bolt pattern. Simple & clean. The best senario would be to fill in the transom or bolt on the stand-off boxes, as previously mentioned. Depends on your budget, what kind of speeds your after, etc... Also...If I were you, I would loose the "thru the hull bottom" water pick-up. Glass it in with many multiple layers of heavy weight fiberglass, such as 24 oz. Woven Roving or Biaxial or Triaxial glass. No coring, solid glass. Use Vinylester Resin, as a first choice, for its superior secondary bond characteristics. Grind area before and after. Sounds involved, but its quite easy. The thru-hull is probably in your engine compartment and easily accessible. One of the reasons the Bravo's are faster than TRS's, is due to the lack of thru-hull water sources, causing severe aeriation into the slipstream of the propellers. This combined with superior gearcase hydrodynamics, higher installed X-demensions, multibladed propellers, etc., will provide for a minimum of 10 m.p.h. increase in speed, with the same power. Minimum. Not to mention the lack of a power robbing transmission & the weight savings of the drive & transmission. Just my .02 Ed

Quick Reply: Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.