Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Plumbing a mech fuel presure gage? >

Plumbing a mech fuel presure gage?

Notices

Plumbing a mech fuel presure gage?

Old 09-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plumbing a mech fuel presure gage?

Ok, forgive my optimism in asking this question. One of my winter projects is to install a mech fuel pressure gage to keep tabs on my tweaked 575SCI.

My first instinct was to go through the somewhat slow and painful process of running a wire and securing it through all the clamps etc to get the exact length needed to compliment the nice rigging job in the Pantera. I would then order and install a custom braided #4 line to plumb the gage.

It then occured to me- why not use the same "plastic" line used for the oil pressure gage. obviously it's designed not to leak, withstands pressure (spec for the 575 is only hi 20's fuel pressure) and is designed for petroleum based products. I suspect there would never be a leak, at minimal, the same reliability as the oil pressure line, and if it did somehow leak it would show as a drop in pressure on the gage. The plastic line is much more friendly for a clean install without trial and error. an extra 3' of coiled braided line in the engine compartment is not an option I will consider.

Are there any reliable electric Fuel pressure gages as an alternative? I want to match my existing Gaffrig Performance gages.

Am I nuts to go with the plastic line?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:05 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Plumbing a mech fuel presure gage?

Gaffrig makes a electric fuel pressure guage and sender in 2 ranges I beleive. From my racing bacground (cars) I wouldn't want a potential fuel leak running the length of my boat. better to have mech guage on engine to verify elct guage on dash. I feel the same way about mech oil guages also.

Mark
Old 09-09-2004, 02:08 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I also meant to say that i rigged low fuel pressure warning light and buzzer for extra security. I used a pro light or you can jst use normally open swith and tap into Merc buzzer system
Old 09-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered

Yep, you're nuts. Mechanical guages with S/S line are not intended for passenger compartments on cars due to fire hazard. So just forget about oil line hose on a boat. Either use a guage connected directly to the line at the carb, or use an electric sender and electric guage.
Gary
Old 09-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer the mechanical gage for critical systems. Autometer makes a system that works between the gage and the engine. the oil/fuel runs to a diaphram that pressurizes the gauge side. The gause side of the line only carries glycerin which means no oil or fuel in passenger compartment. You can by them from Summit.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
Yep, you're nuts. Mechanical guages with S/S line are not intended for passenger compartments on cars due to fire hazard. So just forget about oil line hose on a boat. Either use a guage connected directly to the line at the carb, or use an electric sender and electric guage.
Gary
LOL, I've got big shoulders, that's why I'm not afraid to be humbled

I'll likely go the electric route with a small mech gage t-d with the sender next to the throttle bodies.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:33 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CIG_3
I prefer the mechanical gage for critical systems. Autometer makes a system that works between the gage and the engine. the oil/fuel runs to a diaphram that pressurizes the gauge side. The gause side of the line only carries glycerin which means no oil or fuel in passenger compartment. You can by them from Summit.
Hadn't seen those. Sound like a great solution for mech guages. My prolight and buzzer monitor low fuel, low oil pressures, high water, high oil temps. I have a hard time checking all the guages when i have it pegged.

Mark
Old 09-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mhawkins48
Hadn't seen those. Sound like a great solution for mech guages. My prolight and buzzer monitor low fuel, low oil pressures, high water, high oil temps. I have a hard time checking all the guages when i have it pegged.

Mark
Ditto- I'll give those a shot
Old 09-09-2004, 04:26 PM
krypto 1 in CT

its called a isolater auto meter makes them.i used to drag race i had a 950hp 8.5 second 1/4 mile 69 r/t charger and they wont let you through tech without one if you have the gauge inside the car.i wouldnt run a steel braided line and a teflon plastic line is walmart junk what happens in a couple years is they get old and brittle and crack.even your oil pressure line should be at least copper hard line or steel braided.even my boat has a electric fuel pressure gauge with a procharger setup where fuel pressure is a major issue.just go electric gauge in dash and put a small mechanical gauge in line by the motor if you want to double check it.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Registered

You are crazy to put a mechanical fuel pressure gage in. There will not be ant issues with false/inaccurate readings from an electric gage. I am willing to bet big bucks that your insurance would be voided if they inspect your boat or if you have a fire. A low pressure warning alarm will probable never go off (even if the hose is severed) if you have a high volume pump because the size of hose used on the gage. It doesn't take anything larger than a pinhole to create enough fumes for a fire/explosion.l

Quick Reply: Plumbing a mech fuel presure gage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.