Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trailer Question >

Trailer Question

Notices

Trailer Question

Old 09-13-2004, 02:51 PM
chriscraft240

Question Trailer Question

When towing,the front of the boat is light. I can see it trying to jump off the front bow roller all the time. When I hit bumps I almost have to stop, to stop the movement. When I stand on the swim platform my wife can pick up the tongue of the trailer. I know this is not good. Would I move the axles back or move the rear rollers forward? It looks like I have holes in the trailer to do either. Plus enough room to move the winch. I would have to make the brake lines longer to move the axles, no big deal. Which would you move? Any advantages either way?

Old 09-13-2004, 03:29 PM
tm29

Default Re: Trailer Question

If you can lift the front of the boat and not the tongue.Then move the rear rollers back that should give you more weight toward the front. but if you can lift the tongue then you need to move the axles back. Maybe wrong on this so dont quote me on it.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:42 PM
chriscraft240

I can't lift the boat off the bow roller and the rear rollers are about 3-4 inches from the transom. I'm thinking about moving the axles. Thanks

Old 09-13-2004, 04:06 PM
tm29

ok if its the tongue you can lift then you need to move the axles or slide the boat up more if possable

Old 09-13-2004, 05:06 PM
HeavyChevSS

10% of weight is rule of thumb for tongue weight. One option is to stand on swim platform while wife drives (which would be scarier?).

Might need to slide the axles towards the back. (non-smart ass answer)

Old 09-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It honestly sounds like you are not loading the boat far enough forward. Before you change anything else, try that first.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

Yep, move the winch toward the truck, and move the whole boat forward, before you mess with ANY axle movement. Also, try a ratchet sinch strap holding your bow down onto the trailer; as the winch is holding it from going back, not up. There is room for both of them on your bow eye. It works well, as I do it every tow.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:43 PM
chriscraft240

Thanks for the info, the boat is as far as it will go forward in the rear. Rollers are at the end of hull. Also, I tried a sinch strap,but the trailer keeps lifting the ass end of the truck over bumps,and won't stop until I give it more power or slow down alot.Strange thing is on the highway there is no sway or problems with bouncing. Just around town, {crappy roads}. I could move the whole rear roller asembly foward about 12", but then the side frame rails won't be supported to the end of the trailer.I'm probably going to move the axles back.I'll post pic in the a.m. to show what I'm getting at. p.s.-Heavychevss-I would have to sit on the bow. She's the deck jewerly,not me!!!!I'm not sure I would sit anywhere with her driving!!

Old 09-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the boat is as far forward as it can go, move the axles @6 inches to the rear and recheck the tongue weight. There is a scale for this to measure the true weight. I always add a line or strap from the bow eye or cleats straight down to the frame for holding the boat down. The ideal tongue height is about 18". If you make it to low the tongue will be very light. To high and the weight will go up.
Good luck and send some pictures (it will make it easier to see what's up)
Old 09-14-2004, 06:02 AM
chriscraft240

Here's a couple of pics:
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Question-000_0025-large-.jpg   Trailer Question-000_0026-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Trailer Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.