Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up >

Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

Notices

Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

Old 09-25-2004, 10:26 AM
JGB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

Thanks for reading. As with any restoration I am sure most of you have been there... Just when you think you're done some other problem arises. What I hope to be the last problem is that the trim in handle( 1985 Merc Quicksilver single lever control) won't trim up...It trims down fine. I also have a seperate "trailer" trim buttom that works fine to trim up. So I have both trim functions but not on the trim in handle. Apparantly the trim mechanical side of things are functioning properly. Is there any way to fix this or trouble shoot? I think we must be dealing with a wiring issue. I haven't messed with this aspect in the restoration so I don't believe it was something I did. any help? Could I utilize the working trim up from the "trailer" button somehow? Can I tie it into the "trim in handle" some how?

Thanks so much for any ideas.

Jim

Last edited by JGB; 09-25-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

It might not be the trim switch in the handle that is your issue. The trim limit switch on the outdrive could be bad and preventing the trim from working. Try bypassing the limit switch.
Brian
Old 09-25-2004, 11:39 AM
JGB
Registered

Default Re: Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

Thanks . but even though the trim for up and down both work? I have a trailer button on the dash that can move the drive up. And the trim down works on the handle. So would this limit switch, if it were bad, not effect the trim down that works in the handle or the trim up that works on the "trailer" trim button? Thanks for the idea.

Jim
Old 09-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned

I'd guess the rocker switch is dirty in the handle. Can you get it apart and check the contact points?
Old 09-25-2004, 12:15 PM
JGB
Registered

Cuda, Thanks. I don't think it is in the handle. I'm pretty sure the wiring from the outdrive is bad.

Upon closer inspection there are two sets of duplex wires coming out of the outdrive that are completely corroded. They broke apart as soon as I touched them. I assume these are the trim wires. Do I need to pull the drive to do this repair? Any ideas how to go about it? Is this part of the trim limit switch? Chit!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-25-2004, 12:31 PM
JGB
Registered

Ok, I really don't know what the 2 sets of duplex wires coming out of the alpha ss outdrive are for because I tried the up trim on the trailer button again since removing the the corroded wires(they practically fell apart by themselves) and still works. And tried the down trim on the handle, and still works.

Any idea what the corroded 2 sets of duplex wires are for. I am guessing mercathode? Does two sets of duplex wires sound right for the mercathode? One set goes to the reset button mounted on the engine and the other goes to a buss block on the transom wall.

I am thinking I have two seperate issues here. Man I was so close!

Thanks ,
\

jim
Old 09-25-2004, 01:29 PM
JGB
Registered

One set of corroded wires has a purple collarred wire and black collared wire. I can't tell what the other set that comes out of the drive next to the first set are or where they go. I thought they were connected to a buss block but they are not. I 'm pretty sure the purple and black collared wires as for the trim sender wire from the outdrive.What is the other set of wires that come out of the drive next to the trim sender wires? I hope it has something to do with up trim that affects the trim in handle? Down trim on the handle still works and so does up trim on the trailer trim button. Trim sender guage is no longer operational hence the reason I know the purple and black collared wires are for the trim sender.

Last edited by JGB; 09-25-2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:41 PM
JGB
Registered

I found this thread and thought it woud be helpful to anyone else encountering these issues.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ht=trim+sender

so I think I will guess I need new trim limit and sender. Those must be the two sets of wires coming out of the drive. Let me know if any of you are more certain than I / thanks
Jim
Old 09-25-2004, 01:45 PM
JGB
Registered

Thi post was from Rambunctious from another thread. I think it answered my question. I hope by replacing both or the wiring to both that it solves my up trim in handle issue.

Great resources here. I appreciate it!

thanks

Jim

Here is what he wrote:

David, it could be the sender (black puck on right hand side of drive. (the left side is the limit sender for trim/trialer stop) swing the drive to the left and unsrew two small screws and remove the right hand side sender. have someone watch the guage as you manually twist the plug to see if the sender is working. if so set it so the gage reads middle of range. install lossely and rotate slightly to get the gage to read full down position properly with drive in full down ....then tighten.

BUT , important... if the sender is working. the large socket cap bolt in the drive that twists this plug could be loose. this loose bolt can rotate the sender out of the operating range and is a good way to indicate this bolt is loose. this is one of two bolts taking all load of the drive. torque this socket cap bolt to 50 ft- lbs.

but - important.... if it will not torque. then the aluminum threads in the drive housing could be stripped. the fix is a stainless helicoil kit threaded in the housing , then reinstall this bolt. i had to do this to both drives with 400 hrs, and send out my tool and extra helicoils to two other oso member to fix thiers.

let us know. i will send you the kit if you need to do the fix, the kit is otherwise $65....

but hopefully the sender is just bad or the wire is cut
either case, check the torque of the bolt, and put some antiseize on the small screws as stainless and aluminum don't mix and they will corrode and you can't remove them eventually.

good luck

Ramb
Old 09-25-2004, 03:22 PM
JGB
Registered

Thanks brian and cuda for your responses. Brian , you got it right, on your first attempt. Thanks a lot bro!

Jim

Quick Reply: Last issue before I can finish up the resto and splash...Trim in handle won't trim up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.