Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Convert manual racing steering to power? >

Convert manual racing steering to power?

Notices

Convert manual racing steering to power?

Old 10-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convert manual racing steering to power?

Took a ride in my buddy MadMax911's Exciter yesterday. Wow, what a bad*ss! Galveston Bay was a chopped up mess, and we hammered over it at 70+. Not bad for a 24' boat! (We did have our impact vests on!)

The steering in this boat, (although perfect for it's intended purpose), will scare potential pleasure buyers off, I think. It's real tough to drive, for me at least. It's a full manual Hynautics dual ram system, seven turns lock-to-lock. (Combine that with the Blackhawk, and steering inputs don't happen real fast...)

Here's the question: Using the existing rams, could a Char-Lynn helm and GM power-steering pump be added to turn it into a regular power steering system?

Looking at the system on my Thoroughbred, it doesn't look like it would be difficult.

JimG
Attached Thumbnails Convert manual racing steering to power?-img0048.jpg   Convert manual racing steering to power?-img0045.jpg  
Old 10-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Convert manual racing steering to power?

It's a Hynautics helm.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This link might help http://www.seastarsteering.com/index.htm . I have the manual set-up as well. It depends on your helm type. From what I understand you will need to have a helm that can support the psi and also have four ports. Two for the external cylinders, one for the pump and inline filter, and one for the reservoir tank. I am not by any means an expert on this, but this is what I have found out by my research.

Good Luck

E.S.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to your local hydraulics dealer and have them order a hydraulic helm unit that works with a power steering pump, just like a tractor of combine. They Hynautic unit helm can not be made into a power unit, I know I had the same system on a Chris Cat with #3's, talk about hard to turn. Char-lyn or Danfoss make steering units that will work, you will need probably 130cc unit. You will need to add a power steering pump, power steering fluid cooler, run two more line to the front of the boat, one from the pump to the helm (high pressure) and one from the helm unit to the fluid tank (low pressure). I would also check the pressure rating of the existing hoses from the helm to the outdrive, don't remeber what pressure the Hynautic system runs at. The rams can be reused.

Or you can call IMCO marine and explain what you want to do and they will sell you all the parts you need in a kit. I will be more expensive but you will not have to chase parts.

Hope that helps

mike