Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
OMG!!  a ski boat passed me at 70mph >

OMG!! a ski boat passed me at 70mph

Notices

OMG!! a ski boat passed me at 70mph

Old 10-21-2004, 09:53 PM
David Haag

Default OMG!! a ski boat passed me at 70mph

I was running WOT in my baja hammer and this ski pro extreme walked me. I did not think there were ski applications that fast.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: OMG!! a ski boat passed me at 70mph

At least it wasn't a wave runner.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a friend that put an LT1 motor in a Tige and it ran 70....you need a Fountain
Old 10-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a hard time comprehending that, unless it was a vee drive wakeboard boat. I have a friend building some of these, and he has a setup that will run over 60 with all the weight moved aft (but normal weighting gives a 52 mph top end). A straight inboard tournament ski boat would need 500hp to run 70. And it would break your spine if you tried to cut thru chop at those speeds.

A 410hp LT5 vette motor in a (wasnt it a Mastercraft) ski boat back years ago was offered as a special edition. It only ran high 50's.

What does a Tige hull have different that let it run so hard?

Put enough motor in anything and it will go fast. Doesn't make it a great idea though.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:40 PM
David Haag

I checked out the website and these are stern drive boats. They claim on has a top speed of 70+mph. Check it out at www.skiproboats.com it is the 2100SS.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am to lazy to read all the lit, is it a flat bottom or a v

The vette boat was a Malibu, What is the point of a 70 Mph ski boat anyway, big waste of money if you ask me. Mr P has been on crutches since he fell on 8/14 going about 40 so who needs 70 in a 20ft ski boat
Old 10-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Registered

And by the way I am sick of those wake board boats with their water bags in the aft area, all they do is go in circles creating big a** wakes, sorry just a pet peeve I used to hate wave runners, these guys are worse
Old 10-21-2004, 11:22 PM
David Haag

I really did not get a good look at the hull but the motor was at the back not in the center. It did not look like your regular boat but it said ski pro and down the side it said extreme. We were right around 70mph he was slowly pulling me. It was right at sunset so he probablt lives out here on the lake like me. I am gonna go and see if I can find him again tommorrow.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

If it's a sterndrive boat, then it doesn't count.
I don't care what they write down the side of it, if it is a sterndrive, then it is a "real" boat.

Tournament boats are for pulling stuff on a rope. That's all. Pretty much single purpose. We had a Nautique in the late 60's and it was a flatbottom straight inboard, but it wasn't "yet" a single purpose boat like it (and all of them) eventually became.

A friend has a Supra V drive, and it is a decent "pulling" boat, but is geared more for a lake cruiser. Still rides harsh but nothing like a tournament boat. And this lake is FULL of tournament boats for some reason...

I remember skiing behind a Whaler, an Astroglass bass boat, an aluminum vee hull with a tiller outboard, cuddy cabin boats, a 26' Carver, you name it. Since when did Junior get so good that he needed a $40k tournament boat to pull him?
Old 10-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Registered

A few years ago a friend of mine had a Malibu with a limited edition Monsoon engine in it. I think it was put together by Indmar. It was rated at 370 hp and it ran high 50's. Real ski boats have too much hull in the water to go fast. A Donzi with the same power would go 20 mph faster.

Quick Reply: OMG!! a ski boat passed me at 70mph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.