D*mn Mildew!!! >

D*mn Mildew!!!

Notices

D*mn Mildew!!!

Old 10-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D*mn Mildew!!!

What is a good way to stop mildew in a cuddy? I live in south louisiana and every time I close my boat up (with cover) when I get back to it there are mildew stains on the vinyl walls of the cuddy........What can I do to get rid of the moisture/mildew?
Old 10-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D*mn Mildew!!!

Ive heard alot about mildew stains here lately. Do you have any pics? Im curious what they look like.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Registered

Go to your local pool store and get a jug of calcium chloride (hardness increaser). Fill a big bowl up half way with this and place it on the floor in your cabin. I had the same problem and this eliminated the mildew. You'll be amazed at how much water is in the bowl after a couple weeks.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Registered

I'm over near Biloxi and have fought the same problem for years. I've used the calcium chloride - and it'll work, but its a pain to me after awhile. For years now I've been using Goldenrod Dehumidifiers (West Marine '04 catalouge pg557). I mount it to a piece of wood plug it in and throw it on the floor of the cabin. All it does is warm up to drive humidity out of the air, but it never gets to hot to hold (although it can get hot enough to be uncomfortable). I also put one in the engine compartment between the engines down low - watch out for fuel lines - to help keep corrosion down. What every you do, you'll have to clean the mildew that is there off thouroughly or it will just grow back.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is exactly right. ANY, and I mean ANYYYYY mildew that you can see is mildew that is growing. Yes, it is a growing thing. You must Kill it, or it will grow back. For sensitive fabric or other things, use only a mild mildew liquid killer. All others, use bleach/water (50/50) mix.

The cloride pellets work great. Keeps the moist content down. For corrosion prevention, try a product called bull frog. The US navy uses their products, so it must work great. I have used the foam pads in the engine compartment. No corrosion at all!!!! Good luck.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Registered

[B]Thanks for the suggestions guys....I will try the tabs firt and go from there.