Draining the old gas?

Notices

Draining the old gas?

Old 11-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Draining the old gas?

I am wanting to drain my gas tanks b/c I am not sure about the gas that is in them. One tank might even have water in it. What do I need to do after I get all the gas out? Would you fill them and add some kind of additive or leave them empty till summer?
Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Draining the old gas?

I called all my friends who wanted free gas for to mix or use for mowers. Got rid for 80 gallons in a couple of hours. Both my tanks are bone dry will be all winter.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a old wives tale that says that the tanks should be full over winter to prevent condensation from building up in them. Now you're pretty far south, so I'm sure that you don't see the cold temps/high humidity like we get come spring time. If you think that there is water in the gas, then it should be at the bottom of the tank. The gas will float on top. Up here we have these little bottles of alcohol that can be dumped in to help dissolve the water. A water collescing filter will then clean up the remaining amount. Just change the filter before it fills up.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the input
Old 11-13-2004, 08:04 PM
Registered

The "wives tale" about condensation is not all crap. Anytime you have enough (high) humidity and the temp drops below the dew point you will condense water on any surface exposed to air. I know I change my water separator 2 times per year and the only time it has any water in it in the spring time. If the tank is full (less exposed surface area) you get less water formed. I think a full tank with additive would eb the way to go...but we are are also VERY lucky and don't really have a "off season"
Old 11-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cord
There is a old wives tale that says that the tanks should be full over winter to prevent condensation from building up in them. Now you're pretty far south, so I'm sure that you don't see the cold temps/high humidity like we get come spring time. If you think that there is water in the gas, then it should be at the bottom of the tank. The gas will float on top. Up here we have these little bottles of alcohol that can be dumped in to help dissolve the water. A water collescing filter will then clean up the remaining amount. Just change the filter before it fills up.
Dont add alcohol/dry gas to your boat.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Registered

Fill it up and add Stabil (sp?) Then check your seperater now and before next season.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Draining the old gas?

Originally Posted by mneal
The "wives tale" about condensation is not all crap. Anytime you have enough (high) humidity and the temp drops below the dew point you will condense water on any surface exposed to air. I know I change my water separator 2 times per year and the only time it has any water in it in the spring time. If the tank is full (less exposed surface area) you get less water formed. I think a full tank with additive would eb the way to go...but we are are also VERY lucky and don't really have a "off season"
I often wondered if it was just a way for marina gas-docks in the North areas to empty THEIR tanks by getting us to fill up ?? They don't empty their tanks so what happens to the gas in those tanks from November until May? Condensation?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I often wondered if it was just a way for marina gas-docks in the North areas to empty THEIR tanks by getting us to fill up ?? They don't empty their tanks so what happens to the gas in those tanks from November until May? Condensation?
Tanks are below the frost line, constant temp down there.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Registered

The condensation factor for an in hull boat tank is nothing like what happens with the wing tanks of aircraft that are subject to extreme temperature/relative hum. changes that create the water gremlin and dictate top-off after each flight. I'd say to store it however you want but realize that fuels we have today don't store too well and I'd think that you would want as much of a fresh fuel load as possible in the spring. --- JP

Quick Reply: Draining the old gas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.