any idea's ? >

any idea's ?

Notices

any idea's ?

Old 11-30-2004, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool any idea's ?

Have a '90 Baja sport 30 ft. I'm running built 454's with approx. 475 hp. each. Problem is when I get to around 1100 rpm the boat starts to pull to the left. As the rpm increases, I must turn the wheel more to the right to keep going straight. At 50mph I have the wheel turned almost half.
whats puzzling is out of the water I have checked for slop. As soon as I move outdrive the steering wheel turns. I do not have external steering as yet . When you look out back, the wake appears to be in line with each other.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:43 PM
monsta

Default Re: any idea's ?

Check your drives to see if they are toed in or out. Also I would check the props , maybe one is damaged and not giving you a vibration. And do the engines tach out the same, possibly one engine is attempting to carry the other. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Steering systems = SAFETY

What you are experiencing happens a lot with stock steering especially when steering parts/components are or become loose and should obviously be checked out and adjusted, etc. I'm not sure how much money you want to pour into this project, but an inexpensive route would be that you could probably get away with some sort of external steering stabilizer rams of some kind that work in conjunction with the stock steering system which would probably help to some degree. I'm sure you know this already, but for really nice, SAFE steering you need an external full racing type of steering system all the way up to the helm.

A good full external racing type of steering system is the best choice especially above and beyond 50-60mph+ speeds for handling and SAFETY purposes.

Last edited by KAAMA; 12-02-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered

Smile Re: any idea's ?

In regards to the tachs, at idle they are the same, but at 3000 or so the starb tach will read 800-900 more. The sync gauge will read even though. The gauges are faria. I'm taking the props off after weekend and having them serviced although they look fine.
Does anyone have a used external steering they may want to part with?
On the toe in, the outdrives appear to be straight, maybe slightly toed in,hard to tell.
Thanks for the help,
kenny
Old 12-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

Is this a bravo drive setup or TRS??? if its TRS you may have a tranny going bad......if bravo try looking at the props to see if they are solid or rubber hubbed....maybe the prop hub is bad.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Registered

They are bravo drives and rubber hubbed props 25 pitch.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:54 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

475 hp is a lot for a rubber hub. I would some solid hubs.
The 454 Mags 365hp came with solid hubs, I think.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Registered

With that said about the hubs I will double check this weekend. You may be correct on the solid hub. Was kind of wishing they were rubber and had one slipping a bit to cause some of my problems. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

team Tickfaw

Where are you located. I have a pair of 25's solid hubs that I never intend to use again. If yours are rubber the solid hub may be your answer.

I also think you could use external steering.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

Arrow Re: any idea's ?

I live in Tylertown Ms. I boat on the Tickfaw river in La. Will be going down there this weekend and plan on pulling props then. I am wanting to put the hyd. steering on and hoping someone out there my have a line on a used one.
also how do you adjust the toe in / toe out on the outdrives? By the tie bar?
[email protected]

Quick Reply: any idea's ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.