Best way to get 600 hp? >

Best way to get 600 hp?

Notices

Best way to get 600 hp?

Old 12-04-2004, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Best way to get 600 hp?

I'd like everone's opinion on how I could most reliably get 600hp out of 454 mag carb motors, I do not want to not touch the short block, can I bolt on heads, cam, blower, carb(s) and acheive this? The hull is a 27 Daytona, twins, stock bravos. I want it to be reliable, idle well, and naturally I want to run them hard! Already have Dana exhaust. I also like everyone want to keep costs down. Eric
Old 12-04-2004, 07:48 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Best way to get 600 hp?

Its not what you want to know... but I know someone who could build a 496stroker from that block and get 550-600hp. $7000.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no way your gonna pick up 240 plus hp just by bolting on the top end.

what compression are you running? if you go with the blower, you will most likely have to change your pistons. or at least freshen up the bottom end. if your running low compression.

I inquired about getting 600 HP out of a 454 some time back. My mechanic's response was. it can be done but it wont be reliable. So I elected to go for a 502 with stroker to 540.

for a 454 to make 600hp, cost $$ and high compression at high rpms. on race fuel. unless you want to rebuild every 20 hours. I would think twice bout that.

no matter how you look at it, it will cost you at least 5,ooo per side, probably more. Then you may want to open up your drives and make sure they can handle the upgrade.

My advise, Pick up a pair of 540 long blocks and work from there. thats the most reliable option. 600 hp will be easy and reliable at 9:1 and 5300rpms on reg gas.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

A blower is the only effective way to do it. There's no replacement for displacement.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you dont want to pull the motor.If ya do the blower you realy need to go thru the botton , make sure the deck is flat so ya want blow a head gasket.

You said you want it reliable and want to run it hard . be easy on the hard

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The answer is easy. Just contact tomcat here on the board. His R-tech Supercooler/Vortech kit will deliver 675 reliable hp on your stock short blocks.

I was heavily involved in a project 25 Baja. We had a fresh 454 Magnum, basically stock except for good valves and a mild roller cam The boat went 60 mph. Bolted up an M1 Procharger with Toms Supercooler and pick up 20 mph.

We pulled the motor and took a trip to Nickerson Performance for a few days of dyno testing with Tom. In the end we saw 785 hp out of a 454 Magnum. (at 9 lbs boost) We toned it down to 6.5 lbs and made 675 hp reliably.

Look up the May '03 issue of Family & Performance Boating mag for a full story on this project.

This motor worked incredible for 120 hrs until a Comp Cam roller lifter failed and ruined the motor.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

Hey Biggus,

what do they say the total cost for a project like that is? Its got to be close to 10k. Wouldnt you say?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Registered

Yes Bruce, it's pretty close to that figure when it's done right. I think that centrifugal blowers have got bad press because many folks have cut corners/bad info during the install.

I'm convinced that the only guy out there who has the carburetion figured out for the "blow through" systems is Dean Nickerson. PERIOD. Dean has spent hundreds of hours on his own dyno developing the system. He makes his own metering blocks specifically for centrifugal blowers. Just call Dean for the carb and be done with it.

Also, the fuel system MUST be designed correctly with an Aeromotive A1000 electric fuel pump, 1/2" fuel lines with a return back to the tank and most importantly, a boost-referenced fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure MUST increase with boost because the carb is in a pressurized box.

If all the steps are followed, you can make 700 hp reliably on pump gas from a 454 Magnum. We've done it and it works.
Attached Thumbnails Best way to get 600 hp?-dcp02621-large-.jpg  
Old 12-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Registered

How's that for a Science project?
Attached Thumbnails Best way to get 600 hp?-dcp02641-large-.jpg  
Old 12-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

KYElimEagle,

It sounds like you have the 365hp/454mags---right? I agree with what some of the other guys are asking---how many hours on the engines? You will want to make sure the bottom end is up to the task, and in good condition before bolting on more power.

Getting a reliable 600hp out of a 454 with a supercharger doesn't seem too difficult these days. Actually, you might be able to use the same stock GM/Merc heads, cam, pistons/comp ratio in regards to bolting on a supercharger. I would at least have the heads bowl/pocket ported----this is especially true on the exhaust side as the stock GM head does NOT have very good flow from the factory exhaust ports. You are most likely going to at least need a B&M 250 blower to get a reliable 600hp out of a 454. I would also suggest some roller rocker arms and you will need some Holley carbs for this application. It sounds like you already have some good aftermarket free flowing exhaust manifolds to enhance your power goal.

"rmbuilder" would be another good source of info. I'm sure he could help you much more than I could with your questions.

Quick Reply: Best way to get 600 hp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.