500 efi alternators??

Notices

500 efi alternators??

Old 12-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 500 efi alternators??

I remember old thread on a member on this board that was rebuilding the Alternators, the 500efi Blue style . While I have the motors down I was wanting to get them cked out and cleaned on the inside.They where working fine but I can feel a bearing on one is ruff.

My Alternator guy took it apart and said something about having to press something apart to separate it ? He did not want to break it.He already chipped the paint on one

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 500 efi alternators??

They should be the same as another big block of the same year, They are just blue. I think it may be a mando. I may have one, but not blue. A paint job is not out of the question. What year are the motors ? In the Merc. manuals the alternator repair is covered. The bearings are common on most alternators. They can be bought inexpensively at most bearing distributors. Taking apart these alternators can be a real pain. Usually heat is required to loosen the screws. The bearing(S) will have to be pressed. BBB
Old 12-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1986 Chevy IROC Z28 blue metalic.... very close match
Old 12-12-2004, 02:32 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I ca n rebuild them for you if want. I own a 15 man shop. Been doing marine stuff for years. You can call me if you are interested. Quick turn around too.

Steve Hixson

Art's Electric Inc.
1320 Industrial Way
Longview, WA 98632
360-423-0890
Old 12-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

[QUOTE=Steve H]I ca n rebuild them for you if want. I own a 15 man shop. Been doing marine stuff for years. You can call me if you are interested. Quick turn around too.

Steve Hixson

Steve have you done this type of alt before ? Can you make it a higher amp output?

They don't need rebuilding ,They where working fine . I figure while I have the motors out to get them cked out and I feel a ruff spot on one bearing.

Billy I had a Mando on my 1989 Scarab and these are different . I think there a Mitsubishi type?

Here is a pick.......
Attached Thumbnails 500 efi alternators??-hustler-up-date-alter-001.jpg  

Old 12-13-2004, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: 500 efi alternators??

Rob,

They look just like the alternator on my Corvette. The C4 Vettes alternator have the same look and one of my friends and I have plenty of experience changing those. Underhood temp kills them. Could be the supercharger set up makes it spin backwards on this car too. If I get 2 full seasons out of them they are doing well. My friend has the same car and I just asked him to look at the pic and he agrees. The only thing that looks a little different is the connection on the back. looks like a ground. I'll have to go look again but that seems like the only difference. Couldn't help but notice the stuff in the background on that pic with the alternators.......
Old 12-13-2004, 07:26 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Strip Poker 388]
Originally Posted by Steve H
I ca n rebuild them for you if want. I own a 15 man shop. Been doing marine stuff for years. You can call me if you are interested. Quick turn around too.

Steve Hixson

Steve have you done this type of alt before ? Can you make it a higher amp output?

They don't need rebuilding ,They where working fine . I figure while I have the motors out to get them cked out and I feel a ruff spot on one bearing.

Billy I had a Mando on my 1989 Scarab and these are different . I think there a Mitsubishi type?

Here is a pick.......
I have had a couple of them in, not very many. They are a new style of mando. Mitsu look very similiar. You can probably get more output from them, but I wouldn't. You are better off replacing them with a higher output unit. We canjust test and install bearings rather than rebuild, not a problem.

Steve H
Old 01-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Steve why would you not increase output on these?Maybe a little ?

Rob

Old 01-25-2005, 03:38 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Normally most modern alternators are designed to put out about 1/2 output at idle speeds. If you increase the output by rewinding the stator you will usually loose output at idle. No big deal if you are at cruise all of the time. However; if you are at no wake speed for an extended period of time with your megawatt stereo cranked you could have low voltage issues. Also, you could shorten battery life by high cycling them on a regular basis. One other thing is that the rectifier is designed for the stock output. It would have a shorter life overall.

If you really need more output I would just replace them with new higher output units. just remember that you have 55a or 65a alternators X 2 currently. That is plenty for most sport boats with big stereos. I don't know how hard it is to get an old style alt to fit on your app, but I have UL approved 90a units in stock. I have these on my boat that is equipped with an inverter and a rack of house batteries and they work great.

Steve H
Old 03-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Steve could you PM me your info please .

Thanks
Rob