Whipple Q's Need Help >

Whipple Q's Need Help

Notices

Whipple Q's Need Help

Old 12-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple Q's Need Help

here is the deal i know very little about boats but, my brother has a 2000 Donzi with a 502 Efi in it.Just one. 28 foot step hull. I Drag race a car (mustang) 331 with a Kennebell supercharger and a Dart block and good stuff inside. 17 psi boost with methnal injection for an intercooler, and all the trick compluter and aif to fuel ratio meters Uego 1000 very accurate. etc....

he wants to put on a Whipple charger 6psi kit with the intercooler. im trying to find out how they are. What kind of horse power can his stock engine take Approx and is there any options for adding more fuel to stay saferif he wants to ass boost or timming . it seems to me that 6psi is very safe and i told him that 9 psi would be way better if his motor could handle it. but i do no that he will need to add fuel somehow and what kind of hp can the fuel system whipples suplies support. can he add a msd box to retard timming? or add timming? can he get a computer that can be programed on a laptop in the boat so we can keep his A/F ratio safe. and whats safe in a boat anyway. i like to keep mine at 11 to 11.5 at WOT. plus how hot will the whipple get if spun at 10psi for long times because my car runs 17 psi (kennebell twin screw) in short times and heats up fast.
sorry for all the questions but a whipple dealer was not much help.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:32 AM
VIP Member

Default Re: Whipple Q's Need Help

The Whipple kit will take that motor from 415 HP to 640 HP.. It comes with all the stuff that adds fuel as boost increases. I had a single engine boat with a Whipple and now I own a twin engine with Whipples. Can't say enough good things about them. Go ahead and do the conversion. You will not be sorry. It will add between 12-15 MPH to the current top speed. The boat will be alot more fun to drive. I will add this-- According to Whipple industries in a marine application more than 9 lbs boost and the efficiency drops off. You cannot compare a car setup to a boat. A boat is under way more continuous load than your car would ever see, even at the track.

Last edited by Bigwavz; 12-10-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

I'm an enthusiast, smaller dealer and run his products. I ran a 2001 454efi for 3 seasons 125 hrs with no issue at 7.5-8 lbs but I boat at 1120 feet. I sold the boat last yr after a 94mph and climbing test ride (25' Daytona). His systems are top notch and interface with the merc systems including knock sensors and timing. you can switch pulleys for more boost and the system will take care of the rest, will need race gas once you get past 7-8lbs or so.

The limiting factor with the black 502 is the metric piston rings (thinner, less ring tension) the handicapped cooling due to siamesed cylinders and the headgaskets. Best to get the system and run it like Dustin tells you. It's got a lot of safgards including an egt sensor which interfaces as well.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cattitude, Michael here, I meet you last yr at Hooters. I was wondering if you are still a dealer for whipple and if so what would a quad rotor set-up cost.We need to plane another Hooters get to gether.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 42MTI
Cattitude, Michael here, I meet you last yr at Hooters. I was wondering if you are still a dealer for whipple and if so what would a quad rotor set-up cost.We need to plane another Hooters get to gether.
sounds good Michael, quad rotors are really a pretty custom setup with a lot of variables- you'd be best off calling or emailing me the details so I can give you a more precise idea.
Ken
479 636 4669
Old 12-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Yeah, the Mustang appliation (or any car application) is totally different than a marine app.

As was mentioned, CONTINUOUS LOAD is the reason. There is no coasting for a boat.

17psi continuous duty marine application would be like putting your Mustang's race motor into a Class 8 semi truck fully loaded at 80,000 pounds GVW and heading up the steepest longest mountain grade you can find with it on the mat and singing at 5500rpm the whole way (auto tranny so you never even lift for shifts). Heat soak, and detonation go hand in hand.

Any 502 has a good parts base. Not optimal by any stretch, but good forged rotating assy and stout bottom end. 6 psi is no problem with proper temperature management and fueling.

Whipple makes the most comprehensive kits on the market.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told that Whipples are really good. However, I was also told that the Whipples add too much instant boost as opposed to the others. I called yesteday to get info on Whipples and the only person to talk to (was Dustin) and he wasn't there, so I will have to wait a week until he gets back. They wouldn't even give me his cell number. I've heard alot of good things about Whiplles, but I don't like the fact that there is only one prson to talk to, and if he's not there, youre out of luck....doesn't make much sense too me.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I was told that Whipples are really good. However, I was also told that the Whipples add too much instant boost as opposed to the others. I called yesteday to get info on Whipples and the only person to talk to (was Dustin) and he wasn't there, so I will have to wait a week until he gets back. They wouldn't even give me his cell number. I've heard alot of good things about Whiplles, but I don't like the fact that there is only one prson to talk to, and if he's not there, youre out of luck....doesn't make much sense too me.
I HAD SAME PROBLEM. but this is why we have these forums. i understand heat soak and that why i cannot believe they can run so long and get get over heated. how do the whipples handle the heat in the long run ? that's why i thought they wanted to stay at 6psi so the heat soak factor will be less

what is the max hp a stock 502 block can handle? and what are some of the other weak links to watch out for. shafts,trans etc....

Last edited by SMOKDU; 12-10-2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered

The whipple marine systems for the black motors are all intercooled and the volume of the charger is sized for the application. Dustin is the main guy on the marine systems, especially custom stuff or highly technical discussions. They have tech guys who can and will easily help with install and trouble shooting issues.

The other guys pitch is that the Whipple is too strong down low and their system is better because the power comes on softer and is easier on the drive train- whatever

Whatever you have bolted up to a bravo you should be gentle rolling on plane etc and you can easily finess a Whipple boat on plane. personally, I think a whippled black motor is fine with an XZ or XR drive etc and have the experience to back it up. There are those that can brake an anvil with a rubber mallet playing in a sandbox- I can't help those guys.

Dustin keeps his black 502 system at or near 650 hp, if you want more, it can be done, there are risks which can be overcome with you wallet.

How long can you run it? how much fuel do you have? how big a straight shot with no traffic? I've gone 1-2 miles, does not take long at 90-100.

IF something were to go wrong the EGT sensor and knock sensors would catch the earliest hints and tweak timing, set lights and detune to save internals- that's a big part of what makes it a great system- something a lot of the other guys don't offer or at least not on the same level.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Registered

ok it as a knock senser that retarts the timing if you are wrong on the tune or your have a bad batch of gas? i agree with this kind of setup. i am over couscous at 17 psi boos on my car. and i have a similar blower. sounds like that is a strong blower and the setup sounds complete. i will tell him to go with this combo after i talk with the guy at whipple. if the tune was right and the octane fuel was there what can would you guys think his stock 502 block and internails can handle on the boost side.as long as there is no detenotation. you know everyone wants to go faster. my first blower kit was 6psi also

Quick Reply: Whipple Q's Need Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.