Small-block oil pump

Notices

Small-block oil pump

Old 12-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Small-block oil pump

Anybody ever have a small- block oil pump lose its prime?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Small-block oil pump

No, I never have.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Here's what happened:
The remote oil filter is in an inaccessible location. Salt water sprayed on it from a leaky hose, oil filter rusts and finally sprays most of the crankcase into the bilge. Buzzer comes on, customer sees oil pressure gauge on zero, turns off engine and idles home on one.
I am called in to access situation and find a really nasty mess. I replaced the oil filter, filled the crackcase and cranked that baby up. Buzzer and no oil pressure.

Pulled the distributor and inserted oil priming tool and ran the drill. No resistance- no oil pressure.

Are you intrigued? Shall I continue?
Old 12-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your saying the salt water rusted thru the oil filter and made it leak How long was it on there ?
I have never lost prime ,maybe oil pumps bad?
Sounds like someone is not keeping up with there maintance

intrigued ? yes lets here some more

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Here's what happened:
The remote oil filter is in an inaccessible location. Salt water sprayed on it from a leaky hose, oil filter rusts and finally sprays most of the crankcase into the bilge. Buzzer comes on, customer sees oil pressure gauge on zero, turns off engine and idles home on one.
I am called in to access situation and find a really nasty mess. I replaced the oil filter, filled the crackcase and cranked that baby up. Buzzer and no oil pressure.

Pulled the distributor and inserted oil priming tool and ran the drill. No resistance- no oil pressure.

Are you intrigued? Shall I continue?
I would consider the source of your info(rusted hole in the oil filter!!!). If the pump pick-up didn't fall off the bearings have spun.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If he turned the motor off as soon as the low pressure buzzer went off, shouldn't it still be ok? Other wise the buzzers are useless. How long could it run w/o before the lifters pump down and start clacking like crazy?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the oil pump pickup is laying in the bottom of the pan. Or the shaft is broken.

Roby
Old 12-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Registered

The pump is most likely still submerged in oil unless the engine has a deeeeeep oil pan, in which case you could add two quarts to see if that's the problem.. I'd be inclined to look for a sheared pump shaft. I've seen that happen.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Registered
VIP Member

It turns out this customer re-started the engine to back this boat into his slip with no oil pressure. I believe this caused the oil pump to lose its prime. Thank God for Royal Purple synthetic oil. These engines have 1100 hours and I have been using RP since 800 hours.
Here's what I had to do to get oil pressure back without pulling the engine:

I put a tee in the oil line coming from the remote oil filter going back to the engine.
Then I ran a 3/8 hose to the drain plug opening to a Jabsco oil change pump. With the engine off I had 20 lbs. oil pressure with this set-up. Then I fired-up the engine and let it idle for a few minutes. All the time the gauge is showing I have 20 lbs. OP.

I revved her up a little with no change. Engine sounded normal and ran smoothly.
I popped it once over 3500 RPM and the oil pressure shot up to 45 lbs. where it stayed. I disconnected the set-up and now my problem is solved.

Thought you fellow gear heads would enjoy this.

Last edited by Edward R. Cozzi; 12-12-2004 at 09:31 AM. Reason: fix mistake
Old 12-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uhh.... if thats what it took to get the oil pressure back then you need to go ahead and do a tear down. Those pumps must be so worn that their siphon capability is next to nothing. What's gonna happen the next time the oil needs to be changed? It may even do this again if the boat sits a couple of weeks.

Roby

Quick Reply: Small-block oil pump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.