Fuel Flow Meter >

Fuel Flow Meter

Notices

Fuel Flow Meter

Old 12-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Flow Meter

Any one have experience with fuel flow meters, good- - bad, anything to watch out for. I am looking to install one on my Velocity 496/425. Is there such a thing as a used fuel flow meter? I never have seen one advertised used. Thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Flow Meter

I just installed the Navman system in my customers' old 35' Magnum. Easy to hook-up and works great.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Some transducers just don't stay calibrated very well. I'm trying hard to remember the brand of the ones (Horizon, I want to say) that my friend has. They take four or five hours of runtime after sitting a month to get working properly again.

The FloScan transducers are pretty reliable. I've had some and they were very accurate.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:17 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Ed i just picked up the navman set up for my scorpion. havent even put it in yet. its a 5100 with a pair of fs35 sensors. i got it on a inventory reduction deal and didnt get the plug to hook up both sensors to the single plug in the back of the 5100. any idea where can i get the adapter? also looking for some better software for this thing. the base maps are kinda weak. looks to be a pretty cool gps with lots of nice features though. the main reason i got it was for the flow sensors. thanks
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If the fs35 means it is rated up to 35gph, then be careful on big motors. A 454/330 pulls 25/hr. A 502/415 pulls 35gph. A 502/500 pulls 41gph.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yes thats correct. it is good up to 35gph. i have smallblocks at about 300hp so i should be OK. thanks, actually i really hadnt thought about it till now.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-13-2004, 03:50 AM
Registered

As food for thought---the MEFI computer (even the MEFI 1) outputs an average GPH number in real-time. It shows on my RINDA tester. The SMARTCRAFT system can display that number also.

It would be a hell of system if anyone knows how to read that data stream and display it on a digital guage on the dash.

One problem with the Floscan system is in play if your fuel injection system has a fuel return line--it takes a specila control unit and two trasnducers. Also requires two guages--the dual display GPH guage isn't adapted for the dual trnasducer configuration so a lat of dash board space gets eaten up--

Poorsche

www.Boatmat.com
Old 12-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info and fuel flows, I think that the 496/425 will flow 42 gph at WOT, this is what is projected by the flow meter company. I am looking at the Horizon Fuel Flow meter FF41, it flows 45gph so I think it should be OK with the currant HP I am running now, not sure how the sending unit relates to the engine HP other than it may cause a fuel line restriction if to small of a fuel flow guage is used.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

as long as you sample the fuel flow before the fuel return tee, then it will still be accurate. If you return fuel all the way to the tank,then you can't use em unless you sample both fuel line and return line on a special head unit (they call it the diesel unit).
Old 12-14-2004, 12:23 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed one made by floscan. It wasn't too bad to install. Works great. So far seems very accurate. This particular model is interfaced with a GPS. Gives real time mpg. Very easy to find your most economical cruise speed and trim. Only one bad thing: I wish I did not know how much fuel I really burn! .75 nmpg is about the best I get. This is a 15,000 lb boat. Twin 502's with surface drives. What is everyone else getting?

Steve H

Quick Reply: Fuel Flow Meter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.