Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Diesel oil change interval and preferred oil? >

Diesel oil change interval and preferred oil?

Notices

Diesel oil change interval and preferred oil?

Old 12-19-2004, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Diesel oil change interval and preferred oil?

I have a 04 F-250, Powerstroke. The manual recommends 7500 mile changes, the dealer said 3000, what are all of you doing as far as change intervals and what oil would you recommend? Thanks, Eric
Old 12-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Diesel oil change interval and preferred oil?

I use Shaeffer oil in my powerstroke. Have used it in my last 3 trucks with great succsess/ You can go 1000 miles for each quart your oil pan holds. Its a little pricey, but worth it to me ($5.00 a quart)
Old 12-19-2004, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 03 duramax deisel and have the same question. I'd like to run mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30, but am unsure if the fact it is deisel changes my mind.

BT
Old 12-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The 6.0 PSD shears oil pretty good. I've gone 5000 miles at the longest runing Amsoil 15w40 HD Marine and Diesel.

By 3000-4000 miles the oil is easily sheared to the 30w range already. My analisys has always come back very good but viscosity is always on the low side.

I've heard some folks having better luck with Scheafers because Scheafers has Moly and viscosity is actually much more stable. A couple of others are starting to use Moly as well, so maybe they are onto something.

Also, my experience is on my 2004 Excursion which just now has 14k miles on it so it was in the summer when I was towing some as well. Not sure how much difference that'll make, but I may go ahead and get an analisys done on mine hear soon at 3-4k miles on the current oil to see what difference cooler temps and no towing does.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=SeaRay Jim]The 6.0 PSD shears oil pretty good. I've gone 5000 miles at the longest runing Amsoil 15w40 HD Marine and Diesel.

Is this a synthetic oil Jim? I am sold on synthetics for all my vehicles, just this is my first deisel and I am not sure about deisel contaminate compatibility with synthetics. I'm sure the turbos on these things are hell on dino oil temp wise. The deisel site I've been lurking (gmdeisel.com) seems to be arriving at Mobil 1 syn as the best bet. I'm so confused

BT
Old 12-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=blue thunder]
Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
The 6.0 PSD shears oil pretty good. I've gone 5000 miles at the longest runing Amsoil 15w40 HD Marine and Diesel.

Is this a synthetic oil Jim? I am sold on synthetics for all my vehicles, just this is my first deisel and I am not sure about deisel contaminate compatibility with synthetics. I'm sure the turbos on these things are hell on dino oil temp wise. The deisel site I've been lurking (gmdeisel.com) seems to be arriving at Mobil 1 syn as the best bet. I'm so confused

BT
Amsoil is full synthetic. I've used it in everything for a few years, but I'm questioning whether it's worth the extra $$ with the 6.0. I feel better running a synthetic, and the additive package holds up well too. There is a school of thought too, that synthetic is better for the turbo as it won't coke lie dino will. The other school of thought is that these days, we dont' have the same risk. Besides, I usually let mine cool the EGT's to at least 300-400* before shutting down. That doens't mean heat soak and transfer won't get or keep it hot....

I haven't heard anything about Dmax or Cummins having the same issues.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Call me simple but I have had Ford diesel trucks since '84 and have put a lot of miles on 4 different trucks and most of those miles I used Shell Rottella every 4000 miles. I changed about four years ago to John Deere plus fifty. This has all been 15-40 oil. I use several 55 gallon drums of the stuff each year on the farm and have never had any kind of engine problems at all and I run some of these tractors into some high hours. My Kenworth has 800,000 on it and never uses a drop of oil.
You guys can keep buying your high $ syn oil but until I have a reason to I think I'll just stay with the cheap stuff.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Boatfreak, I had wondered about the Rotella oil, I have always run Mobil 1 in everything, but because the oil capacity is so high I want to save dollars if there is a good option. What about Mobil Delvac?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the rotella oil in my 03 duramax, and change it every 3000-4000, on the fords we would also service them at 3000-4000 as well.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every 5000 here. im still playing around with oils. id like to use a moble 10-30 still using the mortorcraft.

Quick Reply: Diesel oil change interval and preferred oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.