After Winterization

Notices

After Winterization

Old 12-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default After Winterization

After an engine is winterized:
Can you remove your Manifolds and risers to get them boiled with out affecting the winterization of your engines?

Can you remove your Sea Water Pump to replace the impeller with out affecting the winterization of your engines?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: After Winterization

In a word...Yep
Old 12-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered

After removing the manafolds and risers, what would I cover the openings on the engine with to prevent exposure to air and corossion?
Also, what is the procedure for boiling the manafolds? Do you just put them in a pot of boiling water? Do you ad any acids or solutions?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the exhaust manifolds have antifreeze in em, wouldn't you want to drain em before you break the gasket seal? And if your block is totally full, would the exhaust side still be dry? Just curious because I thought about pulling mine but stopped.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

gripit, you can just stuff some clean rags into the exhaust ports if you are worried about anything getting in there.....you can also just put some masking tape over the openings to keep stuff out too. but if you think about it the exhaust valves are open to the elements all the time. There is nothing sealing off the exhaust anywhere in the system from the valves. As for the boiling part.......i think its an acid bath of some type. I dont think it would be someting to do yourself properly....but since i never did anything like that, i dont know. what i would do is stop by a local engine builder and ask them.....maybe they can Hot Tank the manifolds for ya in their next engine batch for minimal $$$

fund razor, the exhaust gets its cooling liquids from the thermostat housing......you can follow the lines from the houseing over to the exhaust manifolds and see what i mean. All you need to do to drain them is dissconnect the hose at the bottom of the manifold and it will drain out. You wont drain the block of any fluids cause the thermostst houseing is taller then the exhaust. And you dont have to worry about getting any fluids into the engine when breaking the gasket seal cause there is no fluid contact of anykind around the exhaust ports or gaskets. Unless you have a leaky riser or reversion i wouldnt worry about it.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

The antifreeze can't travel from the block to the manifolds except via the hose from the t-stat housing. If you pull that hose on the bottom of the exhaust that will drain the manifold. Removing it will not effect the engine. Covering the exhaust , if possible , wouldn't hurt.

Never "boiled" manifolds. Had engine parts cooked and shot peened. The cooking process was heating it in an oven to burn everything off(including paint) followed by shot peening which is like sand blasting with tiny ball bearings. What's left looks absolutely factory new except for any pitting that may have been present.

I friend with a shop has a jet washer. This is a high pressure heated caustic wash in a refrigerator size cabinet with w turn table inside. This is great for blocks but wouldn't do much for the interior water passages of an exhaust.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
fund razor, the exhaust gets its cooling liquids from the thermostat housing......you can follow the lines from the houseing over to the exhaust manifolds and see what i mean. All you need to do to drain them is dissconnect the hose at the bottom of the manifold and it will drain out. You wont drain the block of any fluids cause the thermostst houseing is taller then the exhaust. And you dont have to worry about getting any fluids into the engine when breaking the gasket seal cause there is no fluid contact of anykind around the exhaust ports or gaskets. Unless you have a leaky riser or reversion i wouldnt worry about it.
That's what I thought.
Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully it helped gripit, too.

Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Registered

So, In order to take the manfolds off:
I should drain the manafolds by disconecting the hose that runs from the therastat to the exhaust manafold?

Also, what is the peice on the manafold that runs across the bottom of the manafold in the picture attached? Is this the hose supplying the water? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails After Winterization-manafolds.jpg  
Old 12-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gripit
So, In order to take the manfolds off:
I should drain the manafolds by disconecting the hose that runs from the therastat to the exhaust manafold? YES

Also, what is the peice on the manafold that runs across the bottom of the manafold in the picture attached? Is this the hose supplying the water? Thanks
Yes , it comes from the t-stat housing to this hose that distributes it to each exhaust port