How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg >

How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

Notices

How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

Old 12-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

My non OSO bud tagged a log sometime, broke off the leading edge of the drive skeg, about 1" x 5" worth. It's a 2000 Bravo LWP unit on a stock 502 mag, about 150 hrs so otherwise pretty healthy, light boat (32 fever) with Twins.

The leading edge overlays for recreational boats would do the job but need be the "correct" repair for a performance boat IMHO. So what's the best thing to do, weld a piece in and repaint? Any shops specialize in this? Sterndrivespec?? Is it feasible or is he just better off finding a used lower?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

Get a belt sander, sand it until it looks factory, then repaint.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:10 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you still need to account for the missing piece....
Old 12-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do what I did. You can order new skegs (actually just cut offs from factory damaged or defective drives cut right under the torpedo) for approx $25 from BAM and cut out only the area you need to put yours back to original shape. Better than just welding in a peice of aluminum as it is already to shape. Have it welded on,then sand smooth. I then use Marine Tex as a filler over the weld imperfections. Looks like new and can not tell it has been repaired. Much better looking than filing whats left of your drive. Just have to sand the paint off inthe area of the weld. I just sandblasted my both of my lowers and installed all new bearings and seals while I was repairing the skegs. Didn't need to go to the extreme, but figured what the hell.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Registered

contact jason kunkle kunkle marine he can fix better than new cheap 419 529 4446
Old 12-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Do what I did. You can order new skegs (actually just cut offs from factory damaged or defective drives cut right under the torpedo) for approx $25 from BAM and cut out only the area you need to put yours back to original shape. Better than just welding in a peice of aluminum as it is already to shape. Have it welded on,then sand smooth. I then use Marine Tex as a filler over the weld imperfections. Looks like new and can not tell it has been repaired. Much better looking than filing whats left of your drive. Just have to sand the paint off inthe area of the weld. I just sandblasted my both of my lowers and installed all new bearings and seals while I was repairing the skegs. Didn't need to go to the extreme, but figured what the hell.
Looks slick . I think I would of had to polish it out,bling
Old 11-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Registered

Lightbulb Re: How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

I am lucky to have found an awesome welding shop. Alloy welding in Farmingdale NY. I have brought several Bravo lowers to them with the skeg completely gone. I've had them weld up some cases that no other shop, or yard I know of, would consider repairable. I save the uppers that blow up internally and us them to cut repair pieces . The secret in getting it done right is using material that is sand casted and similar in alloy to the Merc. case. This will allow for an easy, strong, uniform weld job. If they fill the case with water, the seals survive. Maybe because I give this shop alot of work, I get better prices. I can't believe how reasonable the costs are. If anybody needs there # PM me. They make fuel tanks, towers, u-name it. And they are nice people. BBB
Old 11-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Registered

Lightbulb Re: How to repair? -FOD to the drive skeg

I am lucky to have found an awesome welding shop. Alloy welding in Farmingdale NY. I have brought several Bravo lowers to them with the skeg completely gone. I've had them weld up some cases that no other shop, or yard I know of, would consider repairable. I save the uppers that blow up internally and us them to cut repair pieces . The secret in getting it done right is using material that is sand casted and similar in alloy to the Merc. case. This will allow for an easy, strong, uniform weld job. If they fill the case with water, the seals survive. Maybe because I give this shop alot of work, I get better prices. I can't believe how reasonable the costs are. If anybody needs there # PM me. They make fuel tanks, towers, u-name it. And they are nice people. BBB
Old 11-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered

new skeg Bobs machine sells new skegs that aren't cut offs from Merc they are much easier to install.

Last edited by muffman; 11-25-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Registered

i like merc's replacements, the aluminum is purer , and easier to weld. all the replacements that i got were new not cuts. just weld a small piece in and fill low section with weld , grind smooth. easy. i wouldn't cut off the whole skeg for a small repair..