Options to quiet exhaust >

Options to quiet exhaust

Notices

Options to quiet exhaust

Old 12-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Options to quiet exhaust

I know it is just a matter of time before I start getting tickets for my exhaust. It has to be at least 100db at idle. I don't want to lose a lot of HP. But, I priced new high performance mufflers and they're insane.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of exhaust this is on here already. I bought the boat with the engines built and there is a lot of Stainless Marine stuff. Can anyone identify the mufflers (if you can call them that) below? Are they Stainless MArine? I'll try to get a better pic. Inside the muffler it looks like there was an option for a switchable muffler. There isn't an internal flap but there is what looks to be a stop for an internal flap. There is no compresor or a hole for the line in the transom. It looks like a switchable muffler that someone installed but left part of it out. It seems like the cheapest solution would be to find a way to make the existing mufflers work. If not is there any other option to quiet it down that isn't rediculously priced and doesn't rob tons of power.

Thanks for the assistance. OSO rules!
Attached Thumbnails Options to quiet exhaust-55842718_10.jpg   Options to quiet exhaust-55842718_6.jpg   Options to quiet exhaust-55842718_1.jpg  

Old 12-31-2004, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Options to quiet exhaust

Like your boat--I have exact same SR357--even to teak swim platform. I did repaint mine and swim platform is mounted below exhaust outlets right at water level so it's easier to use.

I got a set of Corsa muffler tips--no silent choice or any of that and replaced straight-thru tips. It quieted boat dramatically. Never tested dB levels--all we have to deal with is damned manatee laws and huggers.

I had tried some tips that had some kind of "steel wool" lining inside--they were total waste. The "steel wool" rusted immediatley on first used and stained swim platform--and it didn't provide any noise reduction.

Poorsche
Old 12-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard nothing but good things about the GGB's

Jon
Old 12-31-2004, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Brent...I'm looking at your mufflers. GGB makes an insert that retails for $289 Pr. that will slide into your tips. They are supposed to be very effective with minimal HP loss. I'm a GGB dealer.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:33 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this thread. Troutly has a pair of "snufflers" on his Formula. At idle, I think this would be the ticket! Or do you want it quieter all the time?
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ight=snufflers

Last edited by Payton; 12-31-2004 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2004, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys, I've been selling LOTS of GGB's and have heard nothing but good things about them. Seems the hot set up for a load blower motor is inserts with Extreme tips. This will give you approx. a 13-15 dB reduction. You can expect a 50 rpm loss at WOT with this set up.

A normally aspirated motor runs great with just the Extremes and has no rpm loss. I prefer the Extremes over the inserts in this application as the inserts reduce the exhaust diameter. The Extremes also look rather sweet hanging off the transom.

No, they're not too cheap but they go the distance. I have sold a few of some "other" brands and they have all had problems. I would stay away from any muffler that has moving parts. None of them seem to hold together.

Fionn (Finn)
[email protected]
Old 01-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the replies. Hi Bob - I'm sure I'll be talking to you soon. I haven't been online for a few days. Always great to find more information. After pricing mufflers I knew there had to be a cheaper alternative. The noise doesn't bother me. I just don't want to be stopped by the water cops for the noise. It sounds like the inserts or the snufflers would be the best bet. I assume that the snufflers would sap less power from the motors as I assume that the internal diameter of the pipe remains the same.

Also, I think I might have to do some cutting on the inside of my tail pipes to get an insert in there. Bob - I know you've looked inside those pipes. I am trying to remember if there is anything besides that metal bar stopped to prevent the inserts from working. Any idea?

Anyone - Any opinions what is better? Snuffers or GGB inserts?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Twin TRSs it's a beauty, about 1985?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brent, that little bar is all that is there. An insert should slide right in.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Registered

Prismo - Thanks. Good eye. How did you know it was an '85? I can't tell the '85s and '86s apart.

Bob - Those GGBs sound like they might need to go on the shopping list. I need to wait and see what the Blower Shop says first though. Also, I was wondering how they are held in place. Is it just screws? I am just wondering if it is practical to use them sometimes and then if I want to be loud and obnoxious - take in a poker run or something - how easy it is to remove them.

Poorsche - I would love to have my swim platform closer to the water. Mine is actually raised about an inch to clear the exhaust. It is a real PITA to get in from the water. But, doesn't the exhaust constantly dump steaming hot water on the teak? It is hard enough to keep looking good as it is. If I recall yours looks brand new. Do you oil it every weekend or something? Does it get in the way of the drives when in trailer position? Also, how did you move it? Did you just plug the old holes and drill new ones? I like the idea but think that when I do mine I'm going to go with a tubular platform from Extreme Marine for an updated look.

Thanks

Brent

Quick Reply: Options to quiet exhaust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.