Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Outdrive Rigging Question and Who makes the best shortie drives? >

Outdrive Rigging Question and Who makes the best shortie drives?

Notices

Outdrive Rigging Question and Who makes the best shortie drives?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 339 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Outdrive Rigging Question and Who makes the best shortie drives?

I have a 2000 38 Fountain Fever currently with no drives or engines in the boat. My rigger has just re-fiberglassed up the transom because he said we needed to raise the old X dimension up 3 inches from 16 1/2 to 19 1/2. With the low water pickups and new props the boats coming out of the factory are now running faster with these higher X dimensions.

At first we were just going to simply raise the engines up 3 inches and put a set of XR's on the back; but after being told that this might have a negative impact on the center of gravity of the boat I wonder if that is the best way to go about this. I would rather not compromise the turning ability of the boat if raising the engines up would truly hurt it.

With that in mind I am looking for advice. Do you guys who know this stuff think that raising the engines up 3 inches would have a noticeable negative impact on the CG of a 2000 38 Fever? If so, would it be better to only raise the engines up one inch and then put on a set of 2 inch shorties to accomplish the overall 3 inch raising of the drives?

I am putting in a new set of Merc 525 efi's in the boat and will need to purchase everything from the gimbals on back. What Hardware would you recommend for the application? I was thinking about XR uppers and IMCO shortie lowers but have heard some bad things about the IMCOs - not to mention their no warranty policy. Are the IMCO shorties pretty solid? Does Teague make shortie drives? One thing to consider is the fact that I might bolt on a procharger or whipple in about a year and would then be pushing around 750 hp thru the drives at that time.

I have been told that the heavier drives like 6's and such will eat up too much of the 525's hp, so I rather not go that approach.

Thanks for your help,

Robert
Old 01-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Outdrive Rigging Question and Who makes the best shortie drives?

I measured 17.5 x on my 2000 lightning. I am interested in raising my drive 2" as well. I had IMCO on my last boat and liked the drives. I have been told that the sportmasters have the warranty, but are slower stock. You need to change the profile of the skeg to match that of a bravo to reduce the drag. They seem to be less expensive used. ~$1,750 going price on eBay vs. ~$2,000 for the IMCO. If you have the means, I would not think twice about going with ssm V or VI. For the cost of 525efi's, you can build na 632 ci and make more power than whippled 525's. If you go SC, you need to consider adding sst race lines on all systems, new gauges and upgrade the coolers). If you are looking to get the most out of that package, you will want to go quad rotor on a 540 ci or bigger (900hp easy). Either way a bravo type drive will eventually let go, regardless if it is a Teague, IMCO Merc. my .02
Old 01-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. Too Old, would you go with the XR uppers and Teague shorties or go with the both Teague uppers and lowers?

And I've been doing some reading on the subject - I see that you carry the Konrads. Would you consider them for this application?

Last edited by Marginmn; 01-08-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have sold a lot of bravo xr uppers with imco shorties and had very good luck with them.the sportmaster gearcases look good but cost a lot more than the imco's.give me a call if you like and i can give you a price on everything,chris
Old 01-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered

Does anyone offer 3 inch shortie lowers?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Marginmn,

Give Merlin540 a call. He is in Cincy and is the "Bravo TORTURE tester!!" He had 3-4 seasons of R&D on bravos on his boat. He has 900+hp on Bravos on his 1997 American Offshore and they LIVE!! You may have seen his boat at Cumberland Poker Run. He has good prices also. 513-741-1300...ask for Charlie.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Registered

Thanks, I will. Is he running stock bravo's or ones that he has beefed up a bit?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Registered

IMCO makes -3" shorties
Old 01-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Registered

I Have A Set Of Imco 2'' Shorties For Sale ,less Than 10 Hrs .call Me 917-682-2620 Rob

Last edited by superstar; 01-11-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you want to go 3" shorter? I have a friend that had a 42 Lightning, staggered engines, blue printed hull, he went 2" shorter and slowed down. He couldn't get his slip under control.

Quick Reply: Outdrive Rigging Question and Who makes the best shortie drives?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.