502 mag efi rebuild >

502 mag efi rebuild

Notices

502 mag efi rebuild

Old 01-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 502 mag efi rebuild

I'm currently rebuilding a 1995 502 mag efi for my boat and would appreciate any input on things I should do differently or something I might have missed. So here is what I've come up with so far.

It's a Gen VI block bored .030 over. J & E flat top pistons. Block "parallel" decked (just enough to make sure it's straight). The crank is turned .010 - .010. Stock rods. Balanced rotating assembly. Surface the heads. Manley Severe duty 2.25 intake and 1.90 inconel exhaust valves. Some mild porting. ARP head bolts and rocker studs. Crane gold roller rockers. Cometic head gaskets. Crane roller cam. Lift .576 in .598 ex Duration 222 in 230 ex 114 lobe separation (grind #HR-222/339-2S-14 IG) Intake runners shortened and shaped.(but not extrude honed like the AZ Speed intake) Revolution Marine exhaust manifolds. Corsa "captain's call" exhaust. Mefi 3 Computer programmed by Mark at precision. (my harness has already been re-pinned for it) Stock ignition with an MSD replacement coil.

Originally I was going to rebuild the engine basically stock and put a Vortech supercharger on it but I just couldn't quite afford the blower kit this year. I wanted to keep that as a possible option for next year so I am keeping the compression ratio near stock.

Can I go any bigger on the cam and still keep the selectable exhaust or am I pushing it already?
Will the VST fuel system be able to keep up?
Are there any decent full-time mufflers reasonably priced?
What lifters should I use?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 01-09-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Re: 502 mag efi rebuild

use ARP rod bolts, and have the big ends resized.

your cam choice is fine.
I'd use the longer Crane stock replacements that locate with the GM dogbone key plate. No link plate to give you troubles.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:27 AM
Registered

Any thoughts on the VST system?

Doug
Old 01-10-2005, 05:58 PM
kennywould

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
Any thoughts on the VST system?

Doug
I scrapped mine, remodeled the fuel rail to take 8-an lines in and out, electric fuel pump before, thru the fuel rail, thru a regulator, return line to the tank. I had problems with that system cooking my fuel, motor would diesel when you went to shut it down, they added the cool fuel sytem in later models, I don't know which one you have. Mine was 1996 model, gen v. Weldon makes some nice pumps and regulators, remodel the fuel rail, thats a project!

Old 01-10-2005, 06:07 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would be looking at a 231/ [email protected] with a 110 lobe separation for better bottom and mid range. If your oil pump drive rod has a nylon collar throw it away. The gen 6 motor has a 6 bolt timing cover, just incase you're not sure what you have. Look at GGB.ca for mufflers.

Last edited by GPM; 01-10-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
I would be looking at a 231/ [email protected] with a 110 lobe separation for better bottom and mid range. If your oil pump drive rod has a nylon collar throw it away. The gen 6 motor has a 6 bolt timing cover, just incase you're not sure what you have. Look at GGB.ca for mufflers.
Wouldn't that cam cause reversion with my short risers and Captain's call exhaust?

My block is a Gen VI with a 6 bolt timing cover but the dress is 1995 Gen V without the fuel cooler.
Any idea why the factory fuel injection systems do not return to the tank?
I do have an extra fitting in my tank that is plugged.

I seem to remember Dustin Whipple saying something to the effect that it's not coast guard approved to return it to the tank which is why they return it to the suction side of the pump in their systems.

Thanks for all the good ideas so far,

Doug
Old 01-10-2005, 09:21 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I ran the 231/239 in a 454, great low and midrange torque, had the captains call, no problems at all. My opinion, the 114 lobe separation is a turd, in the boat and on the dyno. Just an opinion.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:18 AM
RichardCranium

If you change the cam, you must recalibrate the computer. These are speed/density systems. Any time you change the induction/cam/exhaust...the computer doesn't know what you have done. You may "correct" one area and make another "bad". Your computer has been calibrated for ONE particular circumstance, consult the programmer.

-Dick

Old 01-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RichardCranium
If you change the cam, you must recalibrate the computer. These are speed/density systems. Any time you change the induction/cam/exhaust...the computer doesn't know what you have done. You may "correct" one area and make another "bad". Your computer has been calibrated for ONE particular circumstance, consult the programmer.

-Dick
I've been talking to Mark at precision, who is programming the computer for this engine, and will DEFINATELY talk with him about any changes being made as I am building it. He has the final say as to what is going into the engine because I'm going to be running a program he has already written for a similar combination instead of mapping it on a dyno.

Doug
Old 01-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
I've been talking to Mark at precision, who is programming the computer for this engine, and will DEFINATELY talk with him about any changes being made as I am building it. He has the final say as to what is going into the engine because I'm going to be running a program he has already written for a similar combination instead of mapping it on a dyno.

Doug

Quick Reply: 502 mag efi rebuild

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.