Carpet/floor/Bolster help >

Carpet/floor/Bolster help

Notices

Carpet/floor/Bolster help

Old 02-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Carpet/floor/Bolster help

I have a 1987 Four Winns Liberator 241. It currently has swivel bucket seats and the original carpet. I am going to put a set of bolsters in it because I really like to stand and I dont feel safe sitting down at 65mph in a crowed lake.

Being that my boat was originally equipped with sit down seats, the cockpit floor is not very deep. I know there is a few inches of room beneath the floor. I thought about notching the floor around where I would be standing, to set my body deeper in the cockpit( I am 6'2"), but I dont know how or if its worth doing.

I would also like to replace the carpet. I have never done this and would appreciate any info on doing this. It has glued in carpet in the cockpit and cabin.

Since I will be adding bolsters, I would like to make up some sort of foot rest. Something strong enough to brace myself on while in the rough stuff.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, MT
Old 02-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Goumada P5-38
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Carpet/floor/Bolster help

For bolsters , call twin marine in miami - Juan

Great bolsters , great prices , exceptional quality -
Old 02-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Registered

I got some used ones on order. Thanks for the info though. Twin marines bolsters look great, but I need to save money for new gauges, steering stabilizers, and carpet.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put new carpet in the 20 Formula I'm redoing. Now I wish I would have just reglassed and painted it or something, but I AIN'T pulling up that carpet again!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

NMT, the notch idea is doable as long as you have the room under the fllor to do it. We were going to do something like that in my buddy's 28 cig but never got around to it yet cause he's lazy! I was going to have a stainless box made with a lip around the edge so it could be screwed to the floor and just put some drain holes in the corners and have it powder coated white the color of the floor. In his cig it looked like we could drop it about 3-4" and not hit the bottom of the hull.

The glued in carpet will probably be the hardest part of you project....depending on how good the original glue is holding the carpet down. Just rip it off and get some acetone to take up the old glue. More then likely its just contact cement. You can get out door carpeting at most home impovement stores or if you want something nicer then you can order it from BoatUS or West Marine. Probably the best way to do it is to get the thicker marine grade carpet and cut it to fit you cockpit and around the bolster stands.....then you can take it to a upholstry shop and have it finnished off around the edges. After you get it back you can install some snaps around the edges and loose flaps and have it snaped inplace. You can buy a whole snap kit from BoatUS for cheap. This way if it gets dirty you can takje it out of the boat and clean it good without soaking the rest of the boat.

As for the bolster install......its all about personal preference on where you place them according to your size. When i did a bolster install on my old Scarab and on my buddy's 28 cig we just placed them in the spot we felt most comfortable standing in when driving. Make sure to test both sitting and standing positions while pretending to drive to feel most comfortable.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-08-2005, 11:53 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

http://www.hottopsmarine.com/racingbolsters.htm

thos eguys used to be called "hot pursuit" marine. i have a set of thier bolsters. they re pretty good not great but are 1/2 teh price of anyone elses

for the carpeting i recommend buyign some of that pink foam from home depot cut it into liek 3" widestrips. glue them together to make yourself a template then just buy some carpet (i used gray stuff i got from costco) then the template on it and slice it down to size with an exacto or other razor blad. worked pretty well when i did it.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by puder
http://www.hottopsmarine.com/racingbolsters.htm

thos eguys used to be called "hot pursuit" marine. i have a set of thier bolsters. they re pretty good not great but are 1/2 teh price of anyone elses

for the carpeting i recommend buyign some of that pink foam from home depot cut it into liek 3" widestrips. glue them together to make yourself a template then just buy some carpet (i used gray stuff i got from costco) then the template on it and slice it down to size with an exacto or other razor blad. worked pretty well when i did it.

Just got a set for my Formula, not bad 995.00 for the pair. Also got extra material for redoing the rest of the cockpit and engine hatch.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered

Great Ideas! Wally, you got me thinking! Who could make some metal trays around here?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Registered

I'm 6'6" it probably costs me 5 mph every time I stand up.

The floor cut out might be a good idea.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

scottc, could you post some pics when the install is done

thanks
mark

Quick Reply: Carpet/floor/Bolster help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.