Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What type sealant for gasoline? >

What type sealant for gasoline?

Notices

Old 02-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Danny_Ocean

Default What type sealant for gasoline?

I recently replaced my gas sending unit and the five (six?) hole gasket. I used a generous amount of sealant (Permatex #2 or #3?...the brown gooey sealant that remains pliable and sticks to your fingers for a week) on the gasket, all surfaces and the screws. I tightened the screws in rotating sequence to make sure the gasket/sealant compressed evenly all around. I allowed the sealant to cure (several months, exactly) before fueling and now, after topping-off, fuel is sloshing out of the sender gasket/holes as if there's no sealant present!

What do you recommend to seal this gasket?

Many thanks in advance,

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What type sealant for gasoline?

Your problem seems weird enough allright, I do a lot of classic car resto jobs and install a lot of tanks which the senders are very similar to my/and your boat tank also. Was the sender leaking with the original sender?, The sealer should only correct VERY small imperfections in the mating surfaces, I, if you havent already you may want to take it back apart and check surfaces for irregularities, rust, crud, etc. Also check to see that the screws do not have a shank that may be shanking out, preventing them from compressing the gasket all the way.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Danny_Ocean

I used the same sealant to seal the filler gasket on my '74 Corvette tank. No leaks.

Now that I recall, I didn't replace the sender (determined the old sender was working, replaced only the gasket while I had everything apart). The old set-up was leaking (very slightly). New gasket installed now = leaks bad! New screws (same type/size).

???

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Old 02-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I prefer rubber.
Or maybe rubber plus a little Yamabond.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

I cut a cork and rubber gasket to replace mine that had broken around a bolt hole, since that's what the old one looked like. I didn't use any sealant and it doesn't leak at all.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Registered

Danny Ocean,
I was reviewing this site and seen my name pop-up in the archives. I was the Tall Skinny kid from Silverton, Stephen Ave ....LOL....I think we know each other. You, Walt and I hung around, drove our boats and came into Barnegat Inlet sideways, I will never forget that. Rode around in my green Dodge Dart and your Camaro and worked at Anchor Reef, painting boat bottoms sucked…..... I think you can probably figure it out. If any of this rings a bell, email me.

[email protected]

BP
Old 02-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Registered

Sometimes this kind of stuff will make you crazy (Mongo wants to go boating!) But really, I had a problem with the screws leaking on a 57 chevy tank sender I installed, Fixed it with a product available from O'rielly's made by versachem called type 1 gasket sealant. Also make sure it isn't leaking from around the terminal where it penetrates the flange. good luck
Old 02-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Registered

Certain of it now, looking at old post.....
i will respect your anonymity......don't worry

Brian P here

Last edited by duffer922; 02-14-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a sealant available called Gasoila tha is specificly designed for gas and diesel seals. It seals very well and unlike other sealers it does not do strange things when it comes in contact with gasoline(like expand, flake and destroy your fuel pump)
Old 02-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Registered

I would be tempted to start over with a fresh gasket kit and new screws with that white compression gunk on em. They sell a kit at the boat stores that would give you what you need.
Maybe the gasket got turned a little. Even though it has the five holes, and they look kind of evenly spaced, they aren't.
If the rubber gasket was ok, and the surface was clean and flat... you should be ok without extra goo.
Something is up. Sounds like the gasket, because I think you would have noticed something funny with the screws like shanking out or stripping.

Good luck.