496 Procharger install >

496 Procharger install

Notices

496 Procharger install

Old 02-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 Procharger install

I'm wondering exactly how much additional clearance is required both on top and at the front of the engine for a Procharger install on a 496 HO. I've seen threads where guys are cutting into seat backs and hatches and presume that the new dimensions will be more than stock. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Registered

Default Re: 496 Procharger install

496 Pro charger mounts low left side engine.about 4-6 inches front.Top not affected.On a twin 353 Formula we had to cut ,out board/port stringer for clearance.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Registered

Make sure there is enough room to pull that motor out when she blows.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lee-way
Make sure there is enough room to pull that motor out when she blows.
We have 4-496 Pro Chargers on the water 2 seasons on 2 .No problems with the motors ,drives could be a different story.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered

ttt

Thanks Doug for the info. Lee: what's your beef with the 3.5 Procharger install on a 496HO? I see in other posts you are recommending the use of blowers, especially Vortech. Are you aware of any problems with the Procharger set-up? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Registered

I'm one of the guys Doug was talking about beat the snot out of my 496 HO with the 3.5 lb kit ...no complaints picked up 13mph doing it and kept it at 5150rpm...Doug and I talk allot this is a good set up for the savings over the blue engines I a'm building a pair of bullet proof 496 blocks gonna order Raylar heads and blower pistons...figure I'll have about 16k in the next 2 motors I have a engine builder in West Virginia I grew up with gonna push 700 hp out of them.Outside of everyone bad rapping the pistons in-experienced mechanics running them to lean to hot...(Whipple doesn't mind putting their stuff on them)

We run them very rich I love the set up....
Old 02-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered

It wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to run cheep gas in them and causing it to detonate and taking the pistons out.

Last edited by TieRod; 02-17-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Registered

It is not the centrifical charger that is the issue. It is the way Pro-charger builds there kits. I have put a handful of chargers on the 496 ho and at 3.0 psi they are holding together. I do not believe in FMU units for boats, that is a cheap and easy way for someone who does not know better to install a Supercharger Kit. Yes I am sure some of you guys will come back with I have been using this system with an FMU for 3 seasons and no problems, and that is great. I personally prefer remapping for the charger along with a fuel pump change and so on. Also understanding the hyperuetectic piston and how unstable they can be will also influence you somewhat.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Registered

ttt

Thanks for the replies - does anyone have any more details on the the space requirements for the install on the 496? Procharger sent me a schematic, but it doesn't show sufficient detail and doesn't compare to stock like their 350 mag diagrams does - says "8 rib crank pulley extends 3" beyond front of stock crank pulley" - obviously I need at least 3 inches in most areas on the front of the motor, but its unclear how far that 3 inch clearance extends the further away from the crank you are - my concern ( amongst many others) is whether the hatch will close over the intercooler.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bouncedcheque
ttt

Thanks for the replies - does anyone have any more details on the the space requirements for the install on the 496? Procharger sent me a schematic, but it doesn't show sufficient detail and doesn't compare to stock like their 350 mag diagrams does - says "8 rib crank pulley extends 3" beyond front of stock crank pulley" - obviously I need at least 3 inches in most areas on the front of the motor, but its unclear how far that 3 inch clearance extends the further away from the crank you are - my concern ( amongst many others) is whether the hatch will close over the intercooler.
It's not any higher than stock

Quick Reply: 496 Procharger install

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.