Notices

CMI Headers

Old 02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
little e

Default CMI Headers

One of my buddies picked up the 500EFI's that were out of the 35 Cig for sale on OSO from Cali. Having some problems with the tail pipes. He bought some diverters that require are a clamp style before he went out of town and they just showed and appear to be the wrong style. He got a good deal on the tail pipes. The headers on the 500 EFI's according to CMI are the rope seal style.

The question is, is it cheaper to sell the headers on the 500's or find new tail pipes? What are the headers worth w/out the pipers? The air pump for the diverters is around $500 so factor that in as well.

Thanks for your help,

lost in Iowa.....

Old 02-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CMI Headers

Little e, I might be interested in one pair of the headers, I bought a set from another OSO member & one is bad. Whatever you do have your budy send them to CMI to be tested. All of mine had leaks & they could fix all but one Starboard header. Can you email a pic? Do they have the SS water inlet manifold welded to the header? Call me Paul 402 981 8402 Are these Adam's headers?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:18 PM
little e

Originally Posted by PSCHENCK
Little e, I might be interested in one pair of the headers, I bought a set from another OSO member & one is bad. Whatever you do have your budy send them to CMI to be tested. All of mine had leaks & they could fix all but one Starboard header. Can you email a pic? Do they have the SS water inlet manifold welded to the header? Call me Paul 402 981 8402 Are these Adam's headers?
Paul, yes they are Adam's motors. You have mail!

Old 02-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here a link to a thread with a pic of my CMI silent choice setup. I bought the diverters with the headers. My boat has a standard Bravo installation and the diverters cost me $1300.00 from Brian Jones Marine. I also bought the deluxe air pump kit with the pump and everything else necessary to make the diverters work for $450.00. I adapted my Corsa exhaust solinoids to work with the CMI diverters so I never used the pump kit. I will sell the pump kit for $250.00 with air cylinders from the diverters that I never used if you want it.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=71348

Ron
Old 02-17-2005, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 500 efi headers DO NOT use rope seal tailpipes. If that is what you have, you have very old style tailpipes or if the headers use rope seals and the tailpipes don't, you have very old headers.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:06 AM
little e

Originally Posted by 800XCR
The 500 efi headers DO NOT use rope seal tailpipes. If that is what you have, you have very old style tailpipes or if the headers use rope seals and the tailpipes don't, you have very old headers.
The information that we have is the motors came in a 2002 Cigarette Gladiator. They were brand new in that boat. On the bottom of the headers they have a bracket with a hole in it. Does that help?

Old 02-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That would be an old style header. I think CMI went away from building that style in the late 90's.

All mercury 500 efi's have special merc clamping that use flat gaskets. The clamp holds the header and tailpipe together along with the gasket.

What you describe is the old style that uses a rope seal type clamp and a bolt on the bottom to hold the header and tailpipe together.