Pre Lube System Question >

Pre Lube System Question

Notices

Pre Lube System Question

Old 02-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Lube System Question

Hello. The pre-lube systems sound like they are a great idea. I have one question: If the electric oil pump pressurizes the oil system witht the engine off, you are pressurizing the oil filter "backwards". Just about all oil filters have a anti-drainback valve (you can see it is a rubber disc through the holes in the oil filter). So, what is happening to anti-drainback valve as you pressurize it backwards? It is not designed to hold any pressure in reverse direction, just to prevent reverse free flow drainage....????
Old 02-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Registered

Default Re: Pre Lube System Question

Actually, the more I think about it, if you could introduce the oil before the filter (for proper flow direction through the filter) and after the engine oil pump, it would be best. The small pipe plug located by the oil filter on the block is that before or after the filter in the oil flow path? I think you would also need a solenoid or check valve to prevent the oil from going backwards through the electric oil pump unless it was positive displacement.

Last edited by SmallPP; 02-24-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Registered

The setups I'm used to seeing are accusump setups. They work without an electric motor. They use a cylinder that is connected to a valve (cable activated or via solenoid) and the oil gallery..
you run the engine, and make oil pressure in the cylinder (has it's own gauge) then shut the valve, prior to shut down and the cyl stays pressurized.
then open valve prior to start up... viola, oil pressure throughout the whole system. What makes these good is that they add several quarts to the oil volume with the valve open, so your oil temp runs cooler and in case of an oil system failure, or oil sloshing away from the pickup, you have some extra cushion time before damage occurs and a safe shut down can be made, or oil pressure's restored.
check this link for better information, they even compare directly with the electric units..
http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/acc_units.html
I just looked one up in my Canton Catalogue, they're short money too, around 200 bucks jobber(over a year old price..),for a one quart, with the electric valve..

Last edited by Sadist; 02-24-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Registered

Seems decent, but has anybody looked at reverse pressurization of the oil filter anti-drain valve with any of these systems?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered

I have been using the system with a pump for over 10 years. I plumbed the pressure side to a fitting in the remote oil filer adapter, before the filter. When the pump runs it forces the oil through the filter. I like the pump ones the best, makes oil changes very easy. Also, they work in the spring after a long winter, not sure if the other pressure systems work after sitting all winter.

When cold I do see 20 psi when the pump is running.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Registered

Excellent choice. I'll follow your lead. Is there a check valve in the electric pump outlet hose at all?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:18 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I have been using the system with a pump for over 10 years. I plumbed the pressure side to a fitting in the remote oil filer adapter, before the filter. When the pump runs it forces the oil through the filter. I like the pump ones the best, makes oil changes very easy. Also, they work in the spring after a long winter, not sure if the other pressure systems work after sitting all winter.

When cold I do see 20 psi when the pump is running.
I have the accusump, it held the oil at 70psi for the past four months. I had an electic preluber prior to this. Plumbing is much more involved. Should have a check valve in oil line and in-line filter to do as manufacturer recommends.

The accusump has one line that goes to the 3/8" port above oil filter boss. engine oil pump acts as check valve.

As I saw it Accusump has 3 big advantage and 1 drawback.

advantage, can run oil level low as accusump will top up if needed. Also if you are running in really rough stuff or running low on oil it will maintain oil pressure untill it's 2-3 quart reserve is gone. Easy Installation. Does not help with oil change. Have to remember to diasable if you just turn key on but don't start engine. I wired mine thru the deadman switch as I always pull the cord out of the switch when I dock. I see about 30psi oil pressure for up to a minute when I turn key on prior to start.

Electric Pre-luber only works prior to start and helps with oil change. Put it on a friends jet boat. he sees 65psi prior to engine start.
Attached Thumbnails Pre Lube System Question-dsc01206.jpg  
Old 02-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Registered

Re: Pre Lube System Question

Is he piping it into the pipe plug port just above the oil filter? I can't imagine what 65psi applied backward to the oil filter anti-drain valve would do to it. I'm sure not good things.

Any other input? Basically, where are pre-lubers pressurizing the engine? Only 2 open ports: just above filter on block side, and just rear of distributor. I think only the one above filter is safe because of reverse presurization of the anti-drain back valve.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:41 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmallPP
Is he piping it into the pipe plug port just above the oil filter? I can't imagine what 65psi applied backward to the oil filter anti-drain valve would do to it. I'm sure not good things.

Any other input? Basically, where are pre-lubers pressurizing the engine? Only 2 open ports: just above filter on block side, and just rear of distributor. I think only the one above filter is safe because of reverse presurization of the anti-drain back valve.
The electric pre-luber typical install is here http://www.pre-luber.com/installoverview.htm
You need to have inline screen filter in line from sump and some people put a check valve in line from remote oil filter to make sure of no back feed.

the 3/8 npt port above the oil filter seems to be favorite place to apply pressure to engine.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small,
I have the KEPP electric pump pre-oiler system. It included a check valve at the pump exit. The pump inlet picked up oil from the pan, and the exit goes to the oil filter housing. I rigged it with a hose crossing the intake manifold w/QDC fitting behind the carb. The pump is mounted to the side of the bell housing on the rear engine mount. Works great.
Sprague

Quick Reply: Pre Lube System Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.