Tilted motors? >

Tilted motors?

Notices

Tilted motors?

Old 03-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilted motors?

I haven't posted in... well, a long time. Been busy and won't bore you, but I had a sudden question that I thought I'd run by the people in the know.

For motor clearence issues with stock engine covers, why don't manufacturer's tilt the motor? Now I realise the lubrication and possibly carburation issues, but I figure that you can test this and adjust pressure and flow rates for oil accordingly ( anyways many motors are leaning towards EFI for fuel). Anyway, a boat will be jaring around violently so oil flow won't be perfect and as easily controllable as say a qucik race car on smooth tracks. Oh, the question was based towards big blocks with blowers that you sometimes can't fit with out staggering the engines or fitting massive scoops.

So, why can't custom (or manufacturer's) riggers modify the engine mounts etc to fit massive blown big blocks (preferably EFI motors) in stock engine bays by tilting them?

So long it seems that my post number has been forgotten, lol. I appriciate any input. Good summer to you all!
Old 03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tilted motors?

Intersting idea. As for your reference to race engines, alot of supermodified guys purposly tilt the engines toward the inside curve of the track. Since they run basically in a turn all the time, the tilting basically makes the engine flat when centrifigul force is considered.

However, in a boat, there are no appreciable side forces from centrifigul forces. So, I don't think it would be good to have the tilt thing happening.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tilted motors?

you would have to tilt the thing so far over that it just wouldnt work. you would have to tilt it over center(more then 45degrees) to obtain any measurable clerance and you just cant tilt it that far or you would have 4 cly burning alot of oil and four other not getting a whole lot. May be possible with a dry sump system and some seriuos engineering but the call isnt great enough to do all the R&D.