Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords? >

Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords?

Notices

Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords?

Old 03-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords?

What are the main obstacles that will be encountered. Im more worried about the mercruiser outdrive issues versus anything else. In the long run its much more economical for me to run Fords than Chevys seeing as I build nothing but Fords for drag racers round the country, this is why I am inquiring. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords?

the easiest thing to do is take your ford flywheels along with the merc couplers to a machine shop and have them drilled and tapped to fit its gotta be right on the money so let a machine shop do it. tehn you just have to come up with a bellhousing that works with the merc transom plate wich could be intersting there are a couple a comanys out there that make the parts to do it but I have never been involved with one so I dont have any contact info try Red Line performance first I think they can lead you down the right path.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
the easiest thing to do is take your ford flywheels along with the merc couplers to a machine shop and have them drilled and tapped to fit its gotta be right on the money so let a machine shop do it. tehn you just have to come up with a bellhousing that works with the merc transom plate wich could be intersting there are a couple a comanys out there that make the parts to do it but I have never been involved with one so I dont have any contact info try Red Line performance first I think they can lead you down the right path.
Appreciated, I got a full machine shop so thats not an issue, but I will check out the bellhousing issue like you said. Thanks alot
Old 03-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Registered

the issue is that the bellhousing is what bolts to the transom plate to support the rear of the engine. it has two ears on it that bolt to the inner transom plate you could come up with some other way to mount the rear of the engine to the stringers or you can find a custom bellhousing. I have never tried it but one from a cobra might work check the center to center distance between the holes in the ears and the height from crank centerline and see what it is. I doubt that it is the same but its worth looking into.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
the issue is that the bellhousing is what bolts to the transom plate to support the rear of the engine. it has two ears on it that bolt to the inner transom plate you could come up with some other way to mount the rear of the engine to the stringers or you can find a custom bellhousing. I have never tried it but one from a cobra might work check the center to center distance between the holes in the ears and the height from crank centerline and see what it is. I doubt that it is the same but its worth looking into.
will do, thanks alot
Old 03-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Registered

See if you can find some old 228 mercruiser engines in a marine boneyard. In the late 70's I had a searay with small block ford power. You should be able to use all kinds of parts from it, bellhousing, brackets etc. I can't imagine the parts are in great demand so they should be cheap
Old 03-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

The 228 Merc was a 305 Chevy with a 4 barrell.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered

I'm sorry I guess it was a 888, anyway the point is in the 70's Merc was making sterndrives with small block ford power. The parts are laying somewhere in some boneyard collecting mud.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, im off to find some boneyards, any suggestions?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Registered

thats right they did use small block fords for a few years i worked on an donzi 16 with one so the parts do exist. not sure if the old 888 and newer bravo or alpha transom plates are the same bolt pattern or not though. something else to look into. youre homework pile is getting thick.

Quick Reply: Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.