Bravo One XR/Bravo One Swap ??? >

Bravo One XR/Bravo One Swap ???

Notices

Bravo One XR/Bravo One Swap ???

Old 03-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo One XR/Bravo One Swap ???

I recently ordered a brand new Bravo One XR drive along with the Gimbal bearing replacement "kit". I'm upgrading to the XR from a standard Bravo One.

I probably should have asked this question PRIOR to ordering the new drive but... what all is involved in the swap and will I need to remove the hinge pins and helmet to change the gimbal bearing?

The more info I can get, the better.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bravo One XR/Bravo One Swap ???

you will need to replace the gimbal bearing, and no you don't need to pull the hinge pins to do this, just use a slap hammer with a 3 jaw puller to yank the old one and then ise a suitable driver to pound the new one in just make sure you line up the grease hole in the bearing with the tube in the transom plate. also make sure you inatall it with the no protuding inner race toward the drive. you will also need to install spacers in your trim cylinders that prevent them from going to far up and binding the u-joints. if youre boat had clearance issues to begin with (like a low swim platfrom) then you may already have them but you probably don't. the kit will also come with a u-joint bellows retainer ring, just pop the old one out with a flat head screwdriver and then pound the new one in, you do need a special driver for this though and it will never work without it. out some kinda lube on the ring too when you install it. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
you will need to replace the gimbal bearing, and no you don't need to pull the hinge pins to do this, just use a slap hammer with a 3 jaw puller to yank the old one and then ise a suitable driver to pound the new one in just make sure you line up the grease hole in the bearing with the tube in the transom plate. also make sure you inatall it with the no protuding inner race toward the drive. you will also need to install spacers in your trim cylinders that prevent them from going to far up and binding the u-joints. if youre boat had clearance issues to begin with (like a low swim platfrom) then you may already have them but you probably don't. the kit will also come with a u-joint bellows retainer ring, just pop the old one out with a flat head screwdriver and then pound the new one in, you do need a special driver for this though and it will never work without it. out some kinda lube on the ring too when you install it. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.
I am also changing a boat over from regular B1's to Xr's. I changed the gimbal bearing, but what are you talking about in regards to the bellows retainer ring. Also, What do the trim cylinder spacers look like and where do you get them?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Registered

Hillbilly24,

Thanks for the information. It is appreciated.

So, the bellows doesn't need to be replaced, only the retaining ring? What is the tool needed and where can I get one? Approximate cost?

Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:55 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

DR Nautica,
I just did the same modifications as you are doing. You don't need to replace the bellows, only the ring. To tell you the truth, I saw no difference between the old ring and the one that came in the kit. It will pop out fairly easily with a small prybar. I managed to reinstall the ring without any special tools. I lubed it up a bit and tapped it in GENTLY with a small hammer and brass punch.

Thunderusone,
All the parts necessary for this job come as complete package from Mercruiser. Give Marc @ Bam a call he will have it. Click on the attached link, the ring is part # 12.. I don't have the part # for the kit. The trim piston spacers look like a horseshoe shaped piece of plastic.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...c=BELL+HOUSING
Old 03-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks, I am going to run the ring I have, I dont see any need to replace that, mine looks just like it. I am however trying to find the horseshoe looking spacers on MC parts.com
Old 03-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Registered

the new retainer ring is just a butthair thinner and in some rare cases the origan bravo ring will cuase a ticking sound as the u joint assembaly rubs it in certian spots. its only like .015" thinner though.(I asked about this at Merc school last winter, I didn't see a diffrence either)
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 PM
ali
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spacers are about 4 bucks for two and the part number is15768A3.
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (04-03-2022)
Old 03-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Bravo One XR/Bravo One Swap ???

You guys ROCK!!!

Checkmate454mag,

Thanks for the link.

Can the sleeve (part number 12 on the diagram) be replaced without the bell-housing assembly being removed? While I am pretty resourceful and can make due with an improvised tool to install the sleeve, I'd rather have the right tool. Does anyone know the part number and where I can get one - CHEAP?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Registered

part # is 91-818162 retail price $34.15. an old prop shaft fits perfectly in the whole as a driver rod.

also here is the link to the special tools catalog it is a PDF

http://mercruiserparts.stemtostern.c...ools/tool2.pdf
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (04-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Bravo One XR/Bravo One Swap ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.