Convertible top replacement >

Convertible top replacement

Notices

Convertible top replacement

Old 04-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible top replacement

I just bought a mustang convertible with a bad top. I called around and it seems around $850 for a new top. I saw a few on ebay for around ~$150.

Has anyone ever tackled one of these? Are they doable or do they need to be installed by a pro?
Old 04-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Convertible top replacement

Better get a pro, if you go one the Mustang forums the general consensus is don't try it. There is some gluing and clamping involved that is apprently where the problem lies. You may be able to get a top shop to do it with your parts and save some cash-but then no warranty. I have never tried it and have done any and everything to a car, but I was thinking about one with a bad top and did some research so take it for what it's worth. I ended up buying one with a good top
Old 04-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

I haven't done one, but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

And i have seen the "masters" do it on several occasions. On 60's Vettes.

They use a space heater and a big quilt. They lay the top on the frame, and then put the heater in the car. They put the remote (outdoor transmitter) for a radio shack digital wireless thermometer up on the top bracing. Then they lay a big quilt over the top and let it cook. They let it get to about 105 degrees and hold it there for 20 minutes before they go to work on the seams and glue joints. They also need the garage to be over 75 degrees, they recommend. I wish I knew what glue they use, but I never paid attention.

These are guys that prep cars for vintage shows and are very meticulous. They spend extra time with a hair dryer getting every wave out of the plastic windows.

I've never seen an average joe shop do a top. Not sure what is different in the methods.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont do it, I own an upholstery shop, its a job for the pros. When it comes to pulling all those staples out of the rear of the window, to detach the the glass assembly, youll wish you had not started the job! If the top is not alligned and attatched correctly to the old glass assembly, you will have a very unattractive looking top. I f the glass assembly curtain is not in atleast good shape (top material under the window delaminating) you should replace it also. Robbins is a very good top supplier. We only use them or Eazy-On Tops. Beware of very cheap tops, they sometimes do not fit correctly/inferior materials. Resale on the Robbins top is usually in the $2-225.00 range, with the window (w/ defrost) in the $3-350.00 range. Shops pay half of the cost on all convertible top parts, so there are some shops out there that will deal on the price of the materials. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i have done several, 81 fiat spyder, 69camaro, 68 syylark. i laid the top in the sun to relax/soften the top. go slow and center everything well. take your time. i leave the front edge unhooked and attach the rear the pull the front down to pull it tight. then work the side. if the material in the rear that the staples go into is chewed up you can replace it (i may even have some in the garage) or you can use body filler to fill in the cheved up areas. take yout time and pay close attn to symetry. ratman