No wash out drains >

No wash out drains

Notices

No wash out drains

Old 07-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No wash out drains

Am I the only 31 thunder cat with no wash out drains in the hole boat. My boat is a 99
Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 AM
Registered

If you do decide to add your own, Be carefull on the port and starboard side of the cocpit towards the rear. The gas tanks are mounted right underneith, while I spent time in the factory I have seen an abundance in some cases of the tanks put in with too much foam, and the tanks rise as the foam did to where the the top of the tanks were rubbing on the underside of the cocpit floor. In some cases so bad, It would not allow the deck to sit down properly. Just an FYI. Check your Clearance.

The old owner Klym, NEVER put drains in any of the boats? Too much money for him I guess. LOL The 31's also have a problem of collecting water under the floor just as you enter the cabin where you first step down. Take a 2" hole saw. Enough clearance. I will bet you have water under the floor in the cabin as well. Just cover with an inspection plate. At the end there were so many complaints he used to put bildge pumps in that area. Being you have a 99 you may already have them there, I know he did not do that for every 31 that left the factory. If you have a inspection plate already there you most likely have pumps in that area. ( I would check to make sure they are still operatable.)

Cruzzin

Last edited by Cruzzin; 07-26-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Registered

I know what your talking about, But there's no inspection covers anywere . My boat is store in my garage, And never had it in the rain , lucky for me . last weekend my buddy's were making fun at me because of the rain coming an me running my boat back into port. That sucks, going to try a fix
Old 07-27-2007, 06:13 PM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

you are gonna have to do the pumps. I try to ream out the drains where they were plugged by the gas tank install foam but could not get a drill to snake past all the problem areas. My 31 is from 1997 and had over 1500 pounds of water trapped in front cabin and sponsons. water comes in from cleats and rub rail screw holes so plug the holes and buy gasket and drain kit for your popup cleats- the water will kill your speed and mildew your cabin.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Registered

I have 1994 30 awesome also with no drains any where, not even in the transome. The cabin has had water standing in it more than once so you're saying I've probably got water under the floor of cabin and cockpit also. I was always concerned about this. I don't have any inspection plates
Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 AM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Default water trap

Originally Posted by Laktrash
I have 1994 30 awesome also with no drains any where, not even in the transome. The cabin has had water standing in it more than once so you're saying I've probably got water under the floor of cabin and cockpit also. I was always concerned about this. I don't have any inspection plates
yes- unless your boat has been in the Shara desert since 1994 you can bet there are hundredsif not thousands of pounds of H2O trapped in the sponsons and under the cabin floor decking. You need to cut inspection holes to see and drain the water. the holes need to be just inside the cabin next to the doors. under the cockpit are the gas tanks so probally no water there. you do need drains in the transome and I never saw a boat without them-
Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Do you mean right where you step down into cabin ? how big a whole should I drill ? Do you know if this is all one section from gas tanks forward. Can shop vac it out ? I always wondered if water could be in this area I keep under covered slip in summer and carport in the winter but a couple of times while i've left it for work the cabin has filled with water.thanks for info everybody thinks its crazy that it has no drains
Old 07-29-2007, 12:17 PM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Exclamation take care!

Do you mean right where you step down into cabin ? how big a whole should I drill ? Do you know if this is all one section from gas tanks forward. Can shop vac it out ? I always wondered if water could be in this area I keep under covered slip in summer and carport in the winter but a couple of times while i've left it for work the cabin has filled with water.thanks for info everybody thinks its crazy that it has no drains
yes, inside where you step down is the spot. use a 3 or four inch hole cutter to make the hole but be sure to buy a cover plate with base to screw it into at the marine supply house and a pair of pumps and auto floats to put into the spaces you will find full of water. you can siphon out the water with a garden hose or pump it out. probally too much for a shop vac. There is access to the sponsons from the forward hatch cover plate on the bow bulkhead inside the cabin. remove the cover and pump out all the water then put caulk on the rub rail screw holes and drain kits on the deck cleats. Use clorox to kill the slime growing there. I also have the inspection plates just outside the doors but that space there is small and only holds a few gallons. this is just in front of the gas tanks. Try smaller holes first to get the idea where you need to place the cover plates and get strong thick one to take te weight when you step down on them not the light flimsy ones- Good Luck !!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 PM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

YEP! Its a Must do thing for the awesome 31

cut the holes just inside the cabin right where you step down. use garden hose to siphon both this area and the sponsons. you need to remove the bow bulkhead cover plate inside cabin to get to the sponsons. buy heavy duty cover plates and at least two automatic pumps and install them. use calking on the rub rail and drain kits on the deck cleats to slow down the water intrusion. use clorox to kill the mildew and slime spores. in front of the gas tanks before you step down is another space full of traped water . it only holds a few gallons but wise to get rid of it anyway. be sure to use heavy duty inspection plates so as to bear the weight when you step on them. Good Luck!!
Old 07-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Registered

Thanks for info not sure of my ability to do this but like I said I had feeling something wasn't quiet right like a little extra trim on port and boat not as light feeling in water. This is the boat hot boat tested in 1994 I 've had 10 or 11 years 500 hours Thanks again

Quick Reply: No wash out drains

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.