fiber glass hatch >

fiber glass hatch

Notices

fiber glass hatch

Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiber glass hatch

Has anyone every taken off the engine hatch and built a fiberglass hatch that is lighter in weight??? this is for 31' cat.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Would like to do the same. That hatch is heavy!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Hatch

I have long thought about this, even before having a new one piece hatch "stock" hatch made. I do know of a qualified glass person that has a ton of expertise in the boat business. I would be willing to approach him under these terms and conditions:

The design, engineering, prototype, tooling costs be evenly shared between those persons willing to embark upon this project.

That "team" of people then own said tooling and control the production output.

All monies are paid to the builder unless the "team" wishes to elect a CTO (chief team officer) and that person controls all monies.

Ok------that said, who interested?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Registered

My original idea of a replacement hatch was basically this. Think of your existing "stock" Awesom hatch. Take that, and turn it upside. Or, gelcoat side up. I looked closely at a Cig 36 Gladiator hatch and really liked the design and final product. That would represent what the Awesome hatch would be. Scoops would be optional because in some cases, the extra clearance gained by NOT having the hatch cushion and turning the hatch upside down, there would be an extra number of inches gained in motor clearance to the underside of the hatch.

Any fresh idea's, please do post um.

Last edited by ROTAX454; 04-18-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Being that the cockpit is so cramped, I would hate to loose the sunpad, we actually enjoy that part
Attached Thumbnails fiber glass hatch-sunpad.jpg  

Last edited by Ran-Dom 32; 04-19-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Registered

After thinking it over and discussing with my wife, it was brought to my attention that we use the hatch to sit on, sun bathe, etc. not realizing it was vital to my wife, as I was more concerned about the weight and speed!!!
I will think about this a little more before making a decision, however, I found it very interesting about your thoughts of reversing the hatch. I did look at the Gladitor and it is a nice looking hatch. I think a towel and cushion would be a great accommodation for my wife and whoever I bring on the boat. LOL
Can you find out what it would cost or make this hatch and the approximate weight it would be.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Registered

I found your thoughts interesting. Respecting your idea's, I welcome any design changes to the hatch, regardless of whether or not the sunpad is used. Costs would be a direct result of the number of owners willing to be a part of this, or any future product project.

Question is, who pays for the time involved in design concept, design approval, part drawings, part bill of materials, costs schedule and associated admin costs.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AO31
Would like to do the same. That hatch is heavy!
Keep in mind that the hatch is actually two pieces. The hatch itself and the sunpad. IMHO, the sunpad represents 40percent of the total weight.