Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Blown drive...Right before memorial Day >

Blown drive...Right before memorial Day

Notices

Old 05-18-2005, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I blew my upper gear set for no apparent reason other than friday 13. Stock motors 454's, fresh oil etc. Anyway where is the cheapest place to get a new, rebuilt or good used upper. Or maybe just a new set of gears. I have rebuilt a couple of alphas with no problems. I gotta get something going soon I can't stand looking at a broken boat over the holiday.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Re: Blown drive...Right before memorial Day

The last time I checked,
( a few months ago)
Dollar marine had some
pretty good deals on new drives,
and or uppers.

What exactly failed ?

The last two that I was involved
with junked out the case too.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:01 PM

The upper gear set looks like someone took a grinder to them. BArely any teeth left at all. I haven't tore it down yet but I do have an extra upper in case it killed the case, but it has 1.36 gears. I still am confused as to what caused it. I was only running 3500 and the oil was fresh and full. No sign of hitting anything with the prop.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered

Samething happened to me Saturday.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a used 1:36 gear set here at the shop. I upgraded a guy with a 38 Special to 1:50.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:40 AM

Obnoxus, How much for the gear set ? I have a an upper with a 1.36 in it already so If the price is right I may just switch over the other drive to1.36. It will save me from changing my props. Am I correct in thinking the 1.36 would be a little stronger and run a little cooler that a 1.50 anyway?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Make me an offer,,,,,,,,,he bought the $1,300 shift update kit with it, so you would get EVERYTHING.
I'll get you some pics of it all tonight.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 320es
It will save me from changing my props. Am I correct in thinking the 1.36 would be a little stronger and run a little cooler that a 1.50 anyway?
Assuming you're not doing anything to your motors then you'll have to drop down a few sizes in pitch if you switch from 1.50 to 1.36.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 320es
The upper gear set looks like someone took a grinder to them. BArely any teeth left at all. I haven't tore it down yet but I do have an extra upper in case it killed the case, but it has 1.36 gears. I still am confused as to what caused it. I was only running 3500 and the oil was fresh and full. No sign of hitting anything with the prop.
I feel your pain. Having lost two drives over the last two years it is a real B****.

Funny, but both drives I lost failed at a long easy cruise. I change my drive oil at 20 hours and pull the top cap and do a visual inspection at each oil change.

The first drive I lost was because of a top cap failure. It trashed the entire drive top to bottom.

The second time I lost three teeth off the top gears and it was rebuildable with new gears up top and ALL new bearings & seals.

They simply fatigue over time. Think of it like this. You have a glass of water that is 100% full. Everytime you start your engine and put the drives in gear you can pour out a little of that water. The higher the horsepower, the more you pour out. When the glass is empty, so will be your wallet!

Call Dick Tryce "AKA Mr. Gadgets" Tell him Dock Holiday told you to call. I sell him all his bearings & seals. He is a GREAT guy, knows drives inside & out and is small enough to respond quickly to your needs.

Dick's Performance Marine (616) 335-8446

Good luck

Doc

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 05-19-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

320es,
It is hard to tell why the gears let go. Under normal use.. no air time, light throttle coming up to speed, etc. You should not have problems, but these things happen. The standard bravo has some week links, any of them can cause major damage. The best solution is to go to upgraded gears a steel tower, good shafts and proper setup! Set up is, in my opinion, the most critical aspect of a long life with the bravo.
One thing I have found is the tower in the standard bravo will bend and distort before the tower comes out.. So even if your case looks ok.. it may not be. Give me a call and I can explain what I do to them to help them survive. So any money spent wont be wasted. 616-335-8446 before 9pm please.

Dick