What To Do? >

What To Do?

Notices

What To Do?

Old 02-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default What To Do?

Okay, I know I've been through a few boats over the last couple years. Now I think I have the perfect boat for me (25 outlaw)......but I seem to have no time to use it. I got it in October and have only had it out once for a couple hours. The boat only has 5 hours on it! I think I have more time sitting in the cockpit on the trailer than on the water. I don't see my work schedule lightening up anytime soon so the boat will continue to sit.

Should I try to sell while it is still new and in perfect condition? It is an '05 SST loaded with 496HO and extended warranty. I have a bunch of other toys that I don't use up for sale too. I hate to get rid of the boat because if I do get time, it is the boat I want, but it just seems like a lot of money tied up for something I don't get to use. Seems like the money could be put to better use (investments, realestate, business, etc).

I'm open for all your words of wisdom!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What To Do?

money can always be put into better investments. i wouldnt call your boat an investment.

heres how i look at it. I push it hard at work, and im in real estate when im not at my primary. I need an outlet, and i love boating. When you look at how much you spend on these things, its crazy. But when im in the water, theres nothing that matches it, and all the money i spend on it seems well spent. Its a lifestyle for me, and i enjoy it. its a decision you have to make. If your looking at it for an investment, sell it and buy some real estate.

I didnt boat one year, and seemed "tweaked" all the time. I made more time for boating my quality of life is better.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
money can always be put into better investments. i wouldnt call your boat an investment.

heres how i look at it. I push it hard at work, and im in real estate when im not at my primary. I need an outlet, and i love boating. When you look at how much you spend on these things, its crazy. But when im in the water, theres nothing that matches it, and all the money i spend on it seems well spent. Its a lifestyle for me, and i enjoy it. its a decision you have to make. If your looking at it for an investment, sell it and buy some real estate.

I didnt boat one year, and seemed "tweaked" all the time. I made more time for boating my quality of life is better.

I agree entirerly.

That said...........

Mine is up for sale for the same reasons but not by choice. The boat is owned by 4 of us (my 2 brothers, my dad, and myself) and the bills have only been getting split 2 ways and I simply can't afford that kind of expense right now. I will say that I would love to put the boat in storage for about 2 years and then get it back out but I just can't do that right now.

I do have 2 other boats to use but neither are a gofast and they just are not the same.

I will still be on the water but not getting that relaxing rush of pusing a boat and myself to its limits.

Keep the boat and make it a point to use it, it will pay dividends in ways you may never realize.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with BajaRunner 100%. Why do we spend all this money on boats? Well it is just a form of relaxation. Boating to me is the last true freedom we can enjoy. No lanes, no parking lots, no traffic jams and very limited law enforcement. Boating is truly a lifestyle that cannot be immitated or duplicated. Drugs or alcohol cannot duplicate the feeling that running a boat brings to me. Believe me I've tried to duplicate the feeling and NOTHING comes close.
Boating brings the highest highs & the lowest lows of any recreational activity I've experienced. I spend all summer hopeing winter never comes & all winter going to boat shows, just to rub up against a little fiberglass and get a fix.
My advice is if the boat is paid for, keep it. You never know what tomorrow will bring.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ditto on all the above. Beisdes being a nice boat, you did not mention where you live. Lake Mead is in your backyard and Havasu, Powell, etc are within driving distance. Some of the nicest boating playgrounds. Im jealous. Keep the one toy that REALLY brings you the biggest R&R when you use it. Winding down from all the crap we do during this time called life is important. If the boat does that, keep it. Sell the rest......
Old 02-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for all the advise, guys. Seems like everyone is saying I should keep it. I do have to admit that boating is the most relaxing hobby that I have. All the others, the Harley's, hot rods, 4X4s, etc are fun but do not mellow me out like boating does.

And yes, Mead, Havasu, etc are right here but I still don't get out as much as I'd like to. When I lived in So Cal I could just haul a half hour to the ocean and launch by myself. Can't do that at the lake because the ramp is too busy. I guess I need to find me a boat biatch!

So I guess I won't put it up for sale just yet. I'm sure if I could get out on the water I wouldn't be thinking this way.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

You should schedule yourself to do some poker runs or fun runs with some friends for the future. It forces you to spend time on the water, which the more time you are on the water the more you will want to be.

Oh yeah and there is nothing like running an offshore boat........I have 2 other boats, I have a lot of fun on each of them but never as much of a rush as the baja................