Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: more 272 mods

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
Measured it last night.
As close as I can tell, looks to be about 12.75"
from back of flange to flange.

Mind you, this was through the access cover,
the tape measure touching the flyweel near the flange.

I would think that this # would get you close though.
Thank you very much,if that is true the longer stub yoke that I can get locally in a few days will fit instead of having to wait 120 days plus for the shorter one,thanks again,Smitty
Old 06-08-2006, 05:33 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smitty, the raised extension box will work well on your boat, I reckon. I am so impressed by the 3" raised Imco box on my 25 Outlaw. Propshaft to pad went from 7 1/3" down to 4 1/3", the holeshot is great and the handling is incredible. It feels like a bigger boat and flies and lands smoother and straighte than it ever did before. I recorded 79,6 mph on the recall on my Livorsi GPS at the weekend and I havenīt even tried for top speed yet. Iīm still running the 525 but hope to have enough hours on it by the weekend so that I can peg it and trim for speed.
Iīm running a merc labbed Bravo 28 and it feels really good on the boat. No cavitational starts, no blow out in the curves. No chinewalking yet, but iīve been running in choppy condition. weīll see. The Imco driveshaft system works really well but is only possible on a boat like the 25 because there is enough space the raise the motor up the three inches, The drive is a standard XR.
Good luck with your installation.
Stephen
Old 06-08-2006, 05:40 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Dock, I donīt doubt your experience with a 25 with an ext. box, however I can only confirm that the box has made my 25 considerably faster and more capable than it was before and some four to five mph faster than Baja claims a 525 powered 25 would be.
I didnīt even expect this much of a performance gain.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info Stephen. I have heard the same results from Bawana on a box install on a modified 272. Still researching how much driveshaft angle will be safe and debating if I do the mods now and risk missing any prime boating season or wait until fall,only supposed to be a high of 71 here this weekend. I'm not great at waiting,Smitty
Old 06-09-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty, did you get your top on?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
Smitty, did you get your top on?
Its still sitting in my living room ,business has been pouring in but it looks like another big lull may be starting. The way I do stuff like that is I buy it then it will sit around months until 3 days before I really need it then I'll be furiously working on it ,Smitty
Old 06-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Update, decided to plunge into it NOW instead of waiting till fall. Boat is now ripped apart into ten million pieces,motor is swinging in the air,bought 5 1/2 " stainless transom bolts fri for the box,angle finders at graingers,longer water pump hose etc. It is usually crappy boating in june around here anyways,cold etc,of course it 90 plus this weekend. My goal is to have motor and box bolted on boat and aligned properly by tommorrow night and be putting heat treated gears in the lower and gimbal back on next weekend. Bought imco steering ram mounts thru mr gadgets too,showed up yesterday. I'll post a new thread in general tech discussion with before and after results in few weeks plus pictures,Smitty
Old 07-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Done,been running it with box,haven't got a clean wfo run yet but my observations so far-boat now has a slight front to rear porpoise cruising 45-60 it didn't have before unless I dig tabs in one ore 2 numbers higher,boat flys flatter and you can definately feel that C/G has moved back further. As far as anything "strange" when crossing wakes I haven't felt anything yet. Results are inconclusive so far but should be able to get a good gps run this wknd. Boat does feel more stable in 1-2 footers,doesn't have any problem getting on plane but I am running 4 blade prop and I only moved drive up 1 inch so I didn't expect change to be drastic,Smitty
Old 07-09-2006, 04:09 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Great! Sounds good, Smitty. Your experience seems similar to mine. However, I havenīt had any porpoising whatsoever, but the occasional brief chinewalk turns up (70 - 75 mph) in smooth conditions. The level "flying" sensation is amazing and can really be exploited. If I read your info right, your propshaft is 6 1/2" below the pad. With the power that you have in there the improved airborn control will be really useful.
I can see you will be raising drive the second inch pretty soon.

Got 81.2 mph @5300 rpm out of my 525 hp at the end of the last poker run (on my way to the slip, alone, 1/4 tank).
Stephen
Old 07-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ran boat yesterday with full intentions of some real high speed results,cranked it up,hit 89.6 turning my 32 pitch labbed and blower started screeching,impeller ate into housing. I was seeing mid 89's with more weight in the boat and 30 pitch prop,saw 92.8 last fall with the 32 pitch so I have yet to see any gain BUT blower self destructing obviously kept boat from running out to true top end. Looking for another procharger m-3sc now,probably be a few weeks before I see real top end and results,Smitty

Quick Reply: more 272 mods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.